Fuyu persimmon pruning

alabamatreehugger(8)January 15, 2008

I planted my first Fuyu persimmon tree today. I noticed that the terminal bud was clipped off to make it fit in the box. Should I train this tree to grow with a central leader similar to the native persimmon, or just leave it be? And, how tall will "Fuyu" eventually get?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

The biggest I've seen are not too big, maybe 12-15 ft tall by 15-18ft wide. Don't think they need much pruning. I'd just let it go as is.

The Fruitnut

Bookmark   January 16, 2008 at 3:16PM
jellyman(6/7VA)

Alabama:

I'm sort of in the same position as you, having planted Fuyu, Hachiya, and Eureka in the early spring of '07. Mine came from Womack Nursery in DeLeon, TX, and I am pretty sure they are on American persimmon roostock, but wouldn't swear to that.

I planted them among the other orchard trees, in what is, for me, pretty close spacing of about 12 feet to the next trees. I really don't know how large these things will become, or whether there will be significant differences among the varieties. So I am just going to let them grow unless they do something really outrageous.

However, I am encouraged by an Asian persimmon tree I saw in the front yard of a home in Falls Church VA, not far south of me. That little tree, fully mature and loaded with nice big persimmons, was about 10 feet tall with equivalent spread. I talked to the owner, and he never pruned the tree, though he didn't know what variety it was. When I saw that demonstration, I knew I had to try this fruit, which I always thought was difficult to grow in my climate.

During the first growing season, the trees put on nearly 3 feet of growth, and are beautiful with their shiny leaves even if they never do have persimmons.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Bookmark   January 16, 2008 at 7:33PM
alabamatreehugger(8)

Thanks guys. Since it tops out at around 15ft I think I will leave it alone.

Bookmark   January 16, 2008 at 8:45PM
stepheng

If you wish to harvest the fruit without having to climb on a ladder you may want to keep it pruned to a convenient size. (To harvest you have to clip the fruit or bunches individually generally using hand pruners.) Also, my Fuyu has a very high number of waterspout growth throughout the growing season and it detracts from the appearance of the tree if I don't cut them out after fruit harvest.

Bookmark   January 17, 2008 at 9:16PM
joebok

I have a Womack Fuyu which was planted in Jan 2005. It has been a very slow grower. The first year, it hardly did more than put out a few leaves. The second year, it grew a few inches and looks healthy for a change, but growth was still very slow.

I've seen large persimmon trees, so they may grow more once established. I wouldn't worry about pruning fruiting wood until a sold growth rate has been established

Bookmark   January 21, 2008 at 3:01PM
BetsS

I found I could sort of screw off the fruit instead of relying on pruners. (Sometimes the fruits were too close to get the blades in, or I didn't have pruners with me.)

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 4:06PM
greenorchardmom(Ga Mts 7)

jellyman
3 feet growth the year planted?
give us some tips please like planting style & if u fertilize with what?
my saijo, hachiya, & chocolate have put on mere inches
they are the only trees in my orchard that I barely prune

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 4:24PM
murkwell

Jellyman's post was from 5 years ago. I haven't seen him active in the forums in quite a while.

I believe he is a firm believer in frequent and deep mulching with horse manure from nearby stables which comes mixed with bedding. So likely the trees were well mulched with it.

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 5:00PM
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

GOM,

If you want a jump start then use Miracle-Gro for a season or two to get it going. After that too much nitrogen will cause fruits drop.

Tony

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 10:07PM
greenorchardmom(Ga Mts 7)

murky good tips thats what I do but with a local organic goat farm
tonytran organic only but gee thanx

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 10:36PM
More Discussions
Suburban backyard "orchard" (Z6 SE NY)
Hello all. I have a new to me house and yard (Zone...
cottage_cheese_z6ny
Blueberry help!
What's going on with this blueberry bush? Is it going...
julia_scheidt
Fungus on grapes from last season?
Near the end of last season my grape plants got a fungus...
frdnicholas
Can I prevent Fire Blight the way I prevent Peach Leaf Curl?
Okay, so it's pretty easy to prevent peach leaf curl....
frostygardener
Getting rid of grape vines.
Is there something other than using a chemical to get...
marylmi
Sponsored Products
Rain Persimmon Drum Shade Anya Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Green Tree in Terra Cotta Pot - 5"H
$39.35 | FRONTGATE
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kaleen Rugs Casual Persimmon Maize 7 ft. 6 in.
Home Depot
Pruning Set
$39.99 | zulily
Garden Girl Rose Gloves Multicolor - RR11M
$34.99 | Hayneedle
Coin Upholstery Fabric in Persimmon
$58.20 | FabricSeen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™