Growing Natal plum from seeds indoors

kurite(5)January 1, 2010

Hi

I wanted to purchase some natal plum seeds and grow them indoors. If anyone has some tips that would be great. Unfortunately the best light i can give it is an east window. Also i heard that it is a tree/bush depending on how you grow it? Does anyone know how to grow it into a single stem tree?

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sautesmom

I have never seen a Natal Plum growing as a tree, and the tallest one I have ever seen was my Grandfather's, which was about head-high when it was 20 years old, growing in the desert with lots of heat! Most are about hip-high after a few years, growing in zone 9.
I don't know if you could grow one very well in zone 5, and I doubt you would get fruit. You do know they have leaves and need sun all year long, yes? And they do not do well with cold at all. Even I have difficulty growing mine in Sacramento, because they keep getting nipped/killed by frost when our weather reports are wrong, and I don't get them covered. I have replaced 3 plants that died this way (well, 2 and one that looks REALLY bad right now :( we'll see if it grows again when it gets warmer)
But if you still want to try, I would love to know where you get seeds, because Natal Plums are one of my favorite fruit, and it's getting harder all the time to find anything other than the ornamental "Boxwood" variety.

Carla in Sac

Bookmark   January 1, 2010 at 11:56PM
More Discussions
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™