Atomic Red White Nectarine on Nemaguard

Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)January 13, 2014

I was pretty much done with adding any bareroots and then I saw Atomic Red White Nectarine. My local nursery has it on Nemaguard. The plants look fairly small compared to the other bareroots, any one know how this tree is actually doing?

I know it is listed at 500 chill hours, I am closer to 300 but have a cold zone left I could plant it. Anyone know if 500 is their safe guess?

Is the fruit as good as the flower?

It is a couple more weeks til Tom Spellman comes to talk at that nursery and if it is a good tree, I would like to snag one while they still have them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

This cultivar is new, and not much is known about it. It has awesome flowers! Hey small trees are great, you can shape them better!!
Red Baron is also a double flowering tree, a peach. But that one is also a great tasting peach! It is a good one. Hopefully this one will be too!

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 9:29AM
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

Drew, it was the flowers that got me. I have a Red Barron in the same "row" that I was thinking of the Atomic. Red Barron can stop traffic on our little street and I think every neighbor wanted to know the name of that tree.

I would like to place in an area that I want to preserve some view from a bench, so I need to keep slightly taller than the rest of the trees. I let Red Barron get a tad taller too so I can better enjoy the bloom from the top of the lot (hillside terraced garden/orchard)

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 9:34AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Red Baron is pretty amazing isn't it? I get comments on mine all the time. Its in a sea of blooming fruit trees but people still notice it.

The trees are sometimes smaller on newer varieties because they are one-year old trees and the older varieties are 2-year trees.

Scott

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 12:55PM
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

Update. Talked to Tom Spellman, he said that it is a good nectarine but was held back from distribution because it is a cling stone and that is not as popular as a free stone.

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 2:09AM
More Discussions
Has anyone elses asian pear (20th century) come out of dormancy?
Everything else is going gangbusters but there isn't...
fireballsocal
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
The legendary Angelcot tastes blah
For those of you who have not heard of angelcots, they...
Scott F Smith
Apple Tree Help - Thank you!
Hello, I have four different varieties of small (starting...
kailunkat
Goji Berries, where to buy seeds?
Hey, so this is my second year gardening, last year...
M3rc_Nate
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™