Blackberries: did I do this right?

newoldhouserFebruary 3, 2014

First let me say, I am VERY new to gardening, but anxious to learn! I finally got my wire trellis built and tied up my berry plants. I have several thorny bushes that were transplanted from south Louisiana. I have no clue as to the variety. And I have several thornless plants. I think some May be Natchez. Unfortunately, I didn't pay to much attention when I bought them. This will be their second growing season so I'm expecting to get a lot of berries. Did I tie them up right? Should I prune them back more? Would love any advice you have! Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
newoldhouser

More pictures

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 12:38AM
newoldhouser

Thorny bushes. These were transplanted last year. I thought they were dead but flourished and bore huge berries. I'm excited to see what they do this year! Should they be thinned out?

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 12:43AM
newoldhouser

Thorny up close

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 12:44AM
newoldhouser

Thornless plants

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 12:46AM
loneranger_grow

I got a blackberry bush last summer also. Grew tall andhad some big berries first year. Did not think you had to tie them up? Thot they were like raspberries. I can understand why though. The plant is hangin all over! Interested in an answer

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 6:47AM
newoldhouser

I think the point in training them to the trellis is to control how they grow and to make berry picking easier. Also the canes are not strong enough to support all the fruit it makes. I had some canes last year just laying in the grass and the fruit ruined. Those things grow like crazy, I had to pull some canes out of the ground because they had rooted and shot up more plants 4-5 feet away in my grass.

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 7:36AM
newoldhouser

I think the point in training them to the trellis is to control how they grow and to make berry picking easier. Also the canes are not strong enough to support all the fruit it makes. I had some canes last year that got so heavy they just laid in the grass and the fruit ruined. Those things grow like crazy too!, I had to pull some canes out of the ground because they had rooted and shot up more plants 4-5 feet away in my grass.

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 7:39AM
newoldhouser

Sorry for the double post!

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 8:05AM
larry_gene

Your canes are fine; no need to prune out more this year. My canes are 5 to 10 times denser than yours and they do fine.

My first impression of your heavy posts is that you could attach horizontal wood and plant kiwis!

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 10:52PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Lookin' good!

Scott

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 10:12AM
charlieboring

What varieties do you have? I planted an Apache thornless this fall and have a natchez thornless in a pot to plant when the ground thaws.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 11:12AM
newoldhouser

I'm really not sure. Unfortunately, I didn't pay much attention when I bought them. I wish I would have.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 2:58PM
More Discussions
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™