Fruit trees (temporarily) in containers

sailorphynFebruary 3, 2013

I'm landscaping our 2+ acre property in NJ (6b). My plans are fairly ambitious, and I'd like to order and put in the ground several fruit trees this year. I feel like I'm in a bit of a rush because although it's possible my husband and I will live here for 20-30+ years, we're only guaranteed to live here for 7.

My question is, if I order bare-rooted trees via mail in, say, April, is it OK to plant them in containers and car for them until they go dormant in late fall, *then* plant them in the ground? Or would two major shocks (shipping by mail, then planting twice) in the short a period of time be harmful?

The idea is that there will be a lot going on in April/March, and it would be nice to have a bit more time to play with the precise location of trees/plants. It would also give me more time to amend the soil if needed, kill of some of my grass, etc.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bradybb WA-Zone8

sailorphyn,
That should be fine.They probably will be dormant when they are sent and there isn't much stress then. Brady

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 1:34AM
lsoh

Keep in mind that I'm no expert. But if you want specific varieties, waiting until April to order may not work well. Mail order nurseries take orders now (and much earlier) and then ship in the spring. I think if you wait until April, many varieties will already be sold out. Again, I could be wrong. Just something to consider.

There are many helpful experts on this forum. They could help you select varieties and direct you to reputable mail order nurseries.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 8:09AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Your plan will work but if it were me I'd likely change my mind on variety or type of fruit to plant by fall. You might better spend the summer planning and order next fall. It won't make much difference on when you get first fruit either way.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 10:26AM
More Discussions
raspberries
Hello F&O people, I wonder if you could help me...
eatsivy
plum truble
I have a gold plum tree aprox 5years old. It has always...
john zone 8
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
what are signs that a cleft graft has failed and how soon to know?
Also, when grafting onto rootstock, how high up do...
tlbean2004
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
Sponsored Products
Lux Pet Crate Mattress
$79.00 | FRONTGATE
Bloomy Jewelry Tree
$59.99 | Dot & Bo
Tropical Pattern Croscill Home 70x72-inch Fiji Shower Curtain
Overstock.com
WAC Bronze LED 18-inches Wide Under Cabinet Light Bar
Euro Style Lighting
Rania Acrylic Bath Bar
Lightology