Summer pruning...in February?

ahajmano(sunset 23, Mission Viejo CA)February 25, 2013

Hi all,

So my mini-orchard is starting to blossom and leaf out, and several of trees are muiti-plantings. In the picture you see a Goldkist to the left, and an Autumn Royal to the right. As you can see, the Goldkist is ahead, and is growing branches into the center, towards the Autumn Royal.

Should I:
A) Leave it alone, and prune the center-growing branches in mid-summer?
B) Remove the center-growing branches now, so the tree doesn't waste enegy on branches that will already be removed?
C) Pinch off the terminal ends on the branches growing into the center. I don't want these branches, but the tree needs to retain leaves for energy.

Your input is as always, much appreciated

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Pinch out the tips as needed. Summer pruning is an ongoing process. On some things I do a haircut about once a month. Trim in between as needed.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 9:22AM
BYOC.RYAN

When i see branches growing in a direction i don't want i snip them right away. Why let the tree waste energy on something I'm going to cut

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 11:09AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

There's no wrong answer here. They'll all work. If you want that center permanently bare, clean it out right to the trunk. But if that other tree dies or you hate the fruit then you have less options going forward. With at least a stub left you could regrow that side of the tree if needed with less effort.

By tipping you save a few leaves and can grow a little fruit next year in that inner position.

Tipping is better than waiting to cut back in mid summer, IMO. And I've learned over the years that complete branch removal is sometimes regretted down the road.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 11:38AM
More Discussions
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™