Super Sweet: Diamond Princess & White Princess

nguyena1(8b)February 19, 2011

Has anyone tried either of these peaches? Local lowes has them. Not much info on either of these or reviews when I google "Diamond Princess" Super Sweet. Gardenweb has no mentions of "Diamond Princess". Marketing people did a good job on their tag on the tree at lowes and it's calling out to me.

I got an Elberta and a June Gold about a month ago.

http://www.bradfordfarms.com.au/diamond_princess.htm

http://www.berrynurseries.com/our-brands/supersweet-fruit-trees.aspx

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MrClint

Never heard of these peaches, but Google had some results:

Diamond Princess Patent
Supersweet Nectarine Review

I would probably not buy either of these trees, based on the general lack of rave reviews.

Hope that helps!

Bookmark   February 19, 2011 at 11:44AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

nguy:

Don't sucker based on the marketing crap. I tried to look up the patents on those fruits. They aren't that new and the one I found, 7066 I think, didn't give a brix. I'm not buying any stone fruit any more that doesn't give a brix. At 16 I might bite if it looks really good or someone else says it's good. A brix of 19 is where I think most stone fruit starts to really shine. If you can find 22-24 with good flavor you'll start to understand why I think stone fruit is the best.

Bookmark   February 19, 2011 at 11:45AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Thanks for the review posted above. Looking at the picture I can tell you why that fruit is not sweet. It's over watered and probably over fertilized. My nectarines have looked that way a few times when over watered. My biggest and best looking fruit I've ever grown. Just like the reviewer, I didn't eat them. Ever since I've been on the quest for the perfectly watered nectarine. Instead of 12-16 brix I've sometimes hit 22-24 and even once 35 brix. The best fruit I've ever eaten were the 20 something nectarines.

Bookmark   February 19, 2011 at 11:56AM
nguyena1(8b)

The plant tags were so convincing to those peach trees! hahaha.

Fruitnut, what's your top 2 best tasting peach varieties? I've heard good things about o'henry but haven't been able to find a nursery in my area that has it. I went with the standard Elberta and picked June Gold so that I'll have peaches before all the pluots and elberta peach ripen.

Bookmark   February 19, 2011 at 10:50PM
iammarcus(6)

fruitnut I was disappointed that your page didn't list your best fruits. You really whet our appitites with some of your discriptions.
Dan

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 8:15AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Dan:

I've tried several times to update my home page. But the changes are rejected. I'll try again but this time test to see if it's accepting anything new before I spend a half hour typing in vain. Thanks for your interest.

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 9:33AM
southpoint

Got it for $10 at Lowes. Think I'll take it back as it's not looking so good. Has holes in the leaves and looks to be in shock by our hot weather.

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 1:34AM
lvrnespeca

I grow the White Princess and Sugar princess Peaches they are very good trees and worth the money. Stay after the insect spray and in 3 years enjoy the fruit!!

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
Need help choosing dwarf fruit trees.
These trees will be planted at my own Indianapolis...
URES
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™