Goji Berry plant doesn't fruit

honugirlhawaiiFebruary 5, 2014

I have a goji berry plant that I planted in the ground two years ago.
It flowers sparsely but has not produced berries.
It is planted in full sun and has long branches. What can I do to get this plant to fruit?
Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charlieboring

What zone are you in? The goji is good in zones 5-9. I have two that I planted a year ago and they made blossoms the first year. Ensure that you have adequate fertilizer and water. Maybe it is just putting its energy into developing roots.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 6:53AM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

It might not be getting the chill hours in Hawii!

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 10:58AM
lkz5ia

if not a special cultivar and are just a random seedling, you will probably need more than one for cross pollination. Seedlings have barely done anything for me, while crimson star started flowering and fruiting first year.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 1:36PM
sf_rhino

While you get the fruiting sorted out, the leaves are a perfectly edible and apparently make a nice salad or soup.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 5:20PM
honugirlhawaii

Thanks to all for the information.
It didn't occur to me that it may just be too warm for Gogi. I received this plant as a cutting off of a plant from a friend's friend so I don't know if the mother plant produced berries. If it does need cross pollination to fruit, how do I do that?

Nice to know that if all fails, at least I can use the leaves for salad and soup!

Bookmark   February 8, 2014 at 7:51PM
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

We have cool winters where I bought my pieces root was cold climate, but planted roots first June August 1st had fruit on small plant 3 more cycles of fruit same summer I think problem way got your plant you need order a root pieces so plant fruit. These plants are hedge renews all time leaves come out then fruit then leaves fall off and renew leaves fruit again. many times per summer. chill needs got to be are none at all.
So what came out ground did not get any chill at my planting most like hotter than your climate.
When order root piece they come in plastic bag in side bag the root have as much 2" of new growth they will amaze you how fast grow.

I have single planting could be 100's miles to next plant, well now there a fe new plants popping out ground I think needing cross out question.

This post was edited by gator_rider2 on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 23:34

Bookmark   February 8, 2014 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™