WANTED: rooted kiwi cuttings!!

NYC_FruitKing(New Rochelle, NY, Zone 6)February 1, 2014

Hi, I've been looking into growing kiwifruit in my climate (in a container, recently moved to an apartment) and I'm looking for certain A. Chinensis cultivars I can't seem to find anywhere. The varieties I'm looking for are:

Red-fleshed: Hongyang ('Red Sun'), Chuhong ('Panda Forest Red Kiwi') Kosen

Golden-fleshed: First Emperor, Koshin, Golden King, Kobayashi39, Pure Country, Tear Drop, Sanuki Gold

(Most of these varieties I found off of http://www1.ttv.ne.jp/~kiwi/E_actinidin.htm)

Anyone have a clue as to the performance (and especially the taste!!) of these obscure varieties? And before anyone mentions if Hort16a (Golden Kiwi) or Jingold/Soreli cuttings/seedlings are available, aren't there plenty more known varieties that are tastier/not patented? I've yet to speak to someone knowledgeable on the topic. I'm also trying to identify this one variety I had that was even tastier than your normal golden kiwi, it was probably exported from Italy, it was smooth-skinned like a chinensis kiwi but was greenish-yellow on the inside, much more flavorful than the Jingolds were! Anyone have any clue which variety that could be? And is it wise to grow kiwis in a container provided I'd pot it up/trim roots when needed and grow them properly against a support? I'm a total newbie to kiwis, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm also going to be growing two A. Argutas (Meyer's Cordifolia & Ken's Red) in containers and might prune accordingly to whatever sturdy trellis I find. No male pollenizers in mind as of yet. And does anyone happen to have any experience with Rossana & Red Princess hardy kiwis? They're advertised on rollingrivernursery's page but I've never heard of them until now. Again, any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trianglejohn

None of my kiwi's did well in containers, even large containers. They grow fine but never bloomed until planted in the ground and even then it took a couple of years. I think the root mass has to reach a certain size in order for them to mature and fruit - hard to do in a container.

I don't know about your climate but down here in North Carolina I advise anyone wanting to grow kiwis to never step near the vines without pruners in your hand. They need constant pruning or else they will take over the world.

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 9:31AM
More Discussions
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
Jujube plants from roger
I would like to have jujube shanxi li. I know roger...
bunti
newly planted blueberries turning red
I planted 15 blueberries, 8 biloxi and 7 star. 10 of...
tugagardener
Indoor Spring Start To Raspberries
Hi...under advisement from Cornell University, they...
Greenhorn2
Gophers killing apple trees... Help!
Gophers have killed 2 roses and one prized apple tree...
peteramu
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Weston Lifestyle Collection Ivory Navy 7' 9" x 9' 9"
Home Depot
Brentwood Wall Sconce by Thomas Lighting
$48.60 | Lumens
52" Matthews Irene 5-Blade Walnut - Chrome Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Jaipur Pura Vida Amistad Flat Weave Stripe Pattern Wool Handmade Rug - RRC007010
$956.00 | Hayneedle
Salt Cellars on Stand - CREAM
$110.00 | Horchow
Laguna Wave Armchair in Black
$449.99 | Dot & Bo
SneakPeek Solid Color w/ Clear Vinyl Shower Curtain
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Riverwalk Seaside 5' x 8'
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™