Unavailable varieties from ACN

eboone_gwFebruary 28, 2014

I had ordered an Emeraude white nectarine from Adams Co. Nursery, among other varieties, for this spring. I recently got a notice from them that due to temps down to 14 degrees in December at Fowler Nurseries in CA, that most of the 10,000 trees that ACN had contract grown there were wiped out. As a result they are unable to fill orders for Emeraude, Zephyr, Jade (all 3 are nects) , and Manon and Galaxy (peaches).

That is a lot of lost trees!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I ordered Emeraude and Zephyr. Haven't heard anything yet. I've never heard of peach/nectarine tree damage in CA. Those freezes were late Dec I believe. 14F shouldn't have damaged trees at that point. Our first freeze this year, mid Nov was in the teens. No damage. I've seen below zero in early Nov around Amarillo. That to my knowledge didn't kill trees.

PS: I called and they said I won't be getting those two trees.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 9:48

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 9:21AM
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

Hmmmm something seems fishy. Im by far an expert but my trees and others here in OK see temps way below 14 and dont die. I guess maybe if they were laying unprotected and bare rooted.

Another thing that is funny is I checked the actually High/lows for Newcastle where Fowler nursery is and the lowest low was on Dec. 5 and was only 24. Of course the nursery is not in the city but 10 degrees is a big difference.

mike

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 10:10AM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Maybe trees were growing and not dormant? So they died!
Whatever, sucks. You guys grow trees like i grow peppers! Holy moly! Mine only cost a few cents each :) All i can afford at the moment!!

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 10:11AM
More Discussions
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
Wanted: Black Ice plum --) swap
Edit This post was edited by Gardening_Maestro on Tue,...
Gardening_Maestro
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Last year I had no nectarines
What have I done right with this tree to give me so...
mrronny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™