Choose OHF97 vs. P. betulaefolia?

Noogy(6 sw mi)February 2, 2013

From what understand some are having problems in the NE with lack of vigor when using Pbet. I want to avoid this. I've read that they requiring higher pH.
I'm in sandy loam and have been fall dressing them with Gypsum and kelp. I have them on Drip emmiters in the summer and while they put on minimum growth during establishment, I expect them to show some vigor soon. I have yoinashi/Oly/ and hosui. I also hit them this fall with a little urea 18" from trunk and mulched. I plan on a light urea one more time at bud break. They are in full sun.
Am I on the right track?
Noogy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan haigh

The book is that Bet is more cold tender than the OHXF strains. Never seems to mind the cold here in Z6, however. Years ago a man at Fowler Nursery claimed they had a particularly cold hardy strain of Bet.

Straight seedling rootstocks are also available and I use them a lot and have not had problems, such as fireblight. Resistance to this is supposed to be the key benefit of OHXF. I do find establishment can to be very slow sometimes with this rootstock but once 97 plugs in it is quite vigorous.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 12:14PM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

Thanks Hman. The Fowler's 'Reimer' strain is what I have coming and it's supposed to be good to -15.
I have a bartlett and an Ayers on seedling rootstock and are both doing very well especially after staking them. I also have OHF513 coming which is supposed to be like OHF84 in that it is smaller and more precocious. Let me know if you need anything.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 2:06PM
alan haigh

Should I want Ayers? Don't know it.

If you get a test winter and have time you can always protect Bet by piling dirt or something else well above the graft union. I used to just pile up the dirt in the fall but stopped doing it as winters stopped getting much below 0 here.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 3:45PM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

Hman,
I've been piling up the snow so far but will definitely keep an eye on the lows.
Ayer's is grouped w/Aurora, on NCGR's curators list. It's sisters include Tennessee and Dabney. If you like seckel you'll like these. Whereas my Bartlett's seen 1 FBstrike, this tree hasn't. It's really pretty also. Still at @ 32 gordon?

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 5:07PM
alan haigh

Yup, can't go anywhere it's where most of my nursery and all my orchard is.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 7:34PM
More Discussions
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™