Pinching The Flower Buds Off Of Blueberry Plants

KerenR(7)February 2, 2013

I planted two 5-7 year old blueberry plants this winter (I learned afterwards that I should have planted younger plants). We have since decided to move in the next couple of years, maybe even next year. Do I really need to pinch the flower buds off of my plants this first spring? I'd like my kids to get something off of these plants before we leave, but I don't necessarily want to handicap them in case we do stay for a few years. The soil was prepared nicely before planting. I also put Mycorrhizal Fungi in the soil as well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Keren,

Given the situation I would not pinch them at all unless they produce too many flowers as that would just hurt the quality of the fruit you get. Figure on good stems 6 fruit buds.

There is nothing wrong with planting older bushes. A few years ago I picked up some 7 year old blueberry bushes from a commercial grower who was switching to earlier ripening varieties. The plants were growing in 30 gallon pots and were only $10 each, he had 1000's to sell......how could I say no? They were so big I used my tractor bucket to lift them and remove the pots then in the ground they went. I still have them and they are still producing beautifully.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Blackberries in the age of SWD
It seems that spotted wing Drosophila is making blackberry...
marc5
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™