Apple tree rootstock

decafin8dFebruary 8, 2012

So I have been wondering lately if you would let any of the standard rootstocks (..i.e. M7,M111 etc.) grow to maturity without grafting a new variety on them, what kind of apple would show up?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canadianplant

IF I recall, they are "undesierable" for eating, but gave wanted properties to the grafted portion, like size, resistance to disease, cold hardiness etc.

Thats the cut and dry of it as far as I know

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 5:29PM
thomis(7)

Yep, that's my understanding as well.
However, I thought M7 and mm111 are semi-dwarf rootstock, not standard.

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 8:40PM
decafin8d

LOL... I guess I should have chose my words more carefully. I didn't mean "standard" in that sense. I guess I was more thinking about if you bought a rootstock and then let apples develop and then planted the seeds from those apples would that give you a source of cheap rootstock?

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 9:47PM
glib(5.5)

Many of the rootstocks of the Molling Merton series have Northern Spy and other originally wild parents. They, too, are the product of crossing and selection and will not come true from seed. Surely the G and B series are similar.

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 9:55PM
decafin8d

I guess I should have known that since most rootstock talks about being "clonal."

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 10:45PM
rabid.child(5)

MM.111/EMLA.111 (Malling-Merton 111 and the virus-free East Malling-Long Ashton 111) produce very nice apples similar to Northern Spy from which they're descended (GRIN).

MM.106 has a reputation for producing nice apples (GRIN), so much so, that many English gardeners (where MM106 is more common) grow it out rather than use it as a rootstock.

M.7 is also from the folks at East Malling, and was bred out about 100 years ago. No idea if it's a good eater, but it sure is pretty.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 4:22PM
spartan-apple

Antonovka is a hardy standard rootstock still in use in extreme cold areas of continental U.S. It was brought here
from Russia where it is still grown today for its yellow apples.

Dolgo crabapple is also used as a hardy rootstock. Dolgo is great to eat too although the fruit does not keep for long.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 11:58AM
More Discussions
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
Growing Fruit Trees in Raised Beds
Hi, Glad to reconnect with the gardenweb again (I used...
tuvalu39
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™