disease resistant peach tree

sbyerb1144February 25, 2010

can anyone recommend a good disease resistant peach tree that bears free stone peaches. In spite of regular spraying we have never been able to harvest any ripe fruit off our peach trees.We live in zone 7 Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olpea(zone 6 KS)

sbyerb,

"disease resistant peach" covers a lot of ground, because there are lots of diseases. I'll take a shot in the dark since you're not getting any fruit, the disease you want rid of is brown rot. It's generally the one that can completely destroy fruit.

There are some varieties more resistant to brown rot than others (see link below) but even with them, I'd be surprised if you could get by without spraying. Given your location, insects are probably an issue as well.

What and when are you spraying?

Here is a link that might be useful: Table of resistant peach cultivars

Bookmark   February 25, 2010 at 12:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misterbaby(7a/b TN)

Olpea is a highly competent poster, but may not be sensitive to the intense disease pressure we face in the hot, humid south. Brown rot can be effectively controlled with good sanitation practices and a pre-harvest spray of Captan or Immunox. Our bigger problem here is bacterial spot, whose primary control is through disease-resistant cultivars, such as Redhaven(yellow)or Belle of Georgia(white). There are other fine choices, too.

But, like Olpea, I can only speculate without additional details from you. Can you give us a little more to go on?
Misterbaby.

Bookmark   February 25, 2010 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
Urgent grafting advice: Experiment Antonovka +/- B9 interstem
You can read my previous posts to see photos of my...
hungryfrozencanuck
My Spupreme plum turns into Alderman!
At Plant Hill Nursery! They don't have a email address,...
Konrad___far_north
Walnut scion wanted
I know it is getting late but mine are not budding...
jerry63
Crabapple tree with large apples - which one?
Hello all, When my son was stationed in Newport RI...
dancinglemons
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™