Interesting book about cultivating peaches in the mid-west

alan haighFebruary 21, 2014

http://books.google.com/books?id=MehNAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA79&lpg=PA79&dq=winter+pruning+peach+trees,+cold+injury&source=bl&ots=booSgL0jEs&sig=oU42YgEWsqLBYUwk-GALhiCtB34&hl=en&sa=X&ei=FHcHU4O_HOi80AGc7YDwAg&ved=0CGUQ6AEwBjgK#v=onepage&q=winter%20pruning%20peach%20trees%2C%20cold%20injury&f=false

I'll follow up with a link.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan haigh

I found the research particularly interesting about how pruning in summer improved flower bud hardiness IF you get a surge of growth as a result.

This is the opposite of conventional wisdom, but is explained by the fact that hardening off is delayed by this late growth surge which extends dormancy and cold hardiness in mid to late winter because trees are in deeper sleep. Presumably the flowers would be more vulnerable to a very early period of extreme cold.

Here is a link that might be useful: growing peaches

Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 11:12AM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

Thanks for posting this link. Looking forward to reading it when I'm not so tired.

Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 10:24PM
curtis(5)

I read the peach part plus a lot more, and bookmarked it. looking forward to seeing what Olpea has to say about it.

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 4:00PM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

It is interesting they are recommending to prune to get a late flush of growth in warmer areas where immature wood is not subject to winter kill.

Also interesting how cultural practices change. They recommended thinning peaches to every 3 to 5". Such light thinning would result in very small fruit. Not surprising standards for fruit size were smaller in that day.

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 12:02AM
More Discussions
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Toxic Waste:
I have been told by a Nursery friend of mine not to...
loneranger_grow
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™