bud swelling during cold winter

ztomFebruary 12, 2014

I was looking at my young fruit trees yesterday (plum, peach,cherry), and it seems there has been some noticeable bud swelling over the last month and a half of very cold weather. Is this enough of a sign that they should be all right come spring?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Seems unlikely to me that your buds are swelling given how cold it's been. Mine aren't swelling here in alternating heat and cold. Be that as it may the apple should be fine.

On the stone fruit you can cut off some small branches, bring them inside stuck in a jar of water, and see if they bloom. I haven't done this but I believe others have already reported damage.

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 11:54AM
ztom

I'm probably mis-using the term "swell". In late fall/early winter, I could barely notice any buds on the trees at all, and the ones that were there were tiny. Now the buds that are there are still very dormant, but I can see their silhouette from a distance. I'm not worried about them blooming this year; I'm just looking for signs of life from the trees.

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 12:24PM
queensinfo

Mine are doing the same. I was just out there looking at them in a foot of snow and they look 1/4 inch at least. I didn't notice them a month ago. However my rasps broke dormancy in my windowless garage and had multiple 6 inch white stems growing. I think I had them too far back from the door.

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 1:08PM
More Discussions
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
How to shape this Grape Vine
Here is a grafted Perlette Grape Vine growing in it's...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™