Spray Schedule for Pear Trees

alameda/zone 8February 25, 2014

I have a Moonlight and a Keiffer pear trees planted 2 years ago. They are growing well. I need to know what kind of a spray schedule I need for them. I am getting ready to spray with dormant oil spray. After that, I don't know what kind of spray to use and how often. What kind of schedule should I put these trees on? I live in east Texas, 2 hours north of Houston. Thanks!
Judith

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rayrose(8)

Pears are the only trees that I never have to spray and you shouldn't either.

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 5:47PM
bhawkins(8A Dallas)

I never spray my Keiffers. My Moonglow hasn't fruited yet but I'm not planning on spraying it. I wouldn't think you'd have to spray in 8b.

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 8:31AM
emorems0(PA - 6a)

Stink bugs ruined my pears last year and I'm trying to figure out the best option to deal with them - last fall I was given the advice to use Surround (fine kaolin clay) once every week or two for three sprayings right after petal fall. I don't think stink bugs have become a problem (yet) as far west as Texas, not sure what other pests are a problem for pears but I think Surround is good for anything that affects young fruit. Hopefully some more experienced fruit growers will be able to help more. Just trying to relay some of the advice I got last year.

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 8:47AM
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation

I got Fabraea Leaf Spot in my pears last year. This winter I've already done Bordeaux Mixture, and there is a schedule starting bud-to-bloom of fungicides (mancozeb is listed) to try to clear it up for this year.

I don't know if that's in your area, but I'd probably dormant spray a fungicide if it is just in case. I'm new to this, though! I've definitely got Fabraea, however.

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 2:15AM
alan haigh

I believe in spraying after I have some idea what I'm up against. As suggested, your pears may require no spray at all, but you won't ever know if you spray preemtively. The point of the varieties you are trying to grow is that they are pest resistant. Test them.

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 6:57AM
More Discussions
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™