articulating or telescoping lift for picking?

oldryderFebruary 1, 2013

I am looking at buying a telescoping or articulating lift for this year as I have extensive maintenance to do on a log home. My original plan was to sell the lift at the end of the summer but it occurred to me that it might make sense to keep it. the log maintenance will be a reoccurring need down the road but hopefully never as big a job as I have for this year.

I have about 150 young (1-4 years old) fruit trees. Most are semi-d but I do have about 50 cherry trees on std stock.
Is such a lift a viable option from fruit picking? lift would be suitable for "rough terrain" with a 35' (or better) working height.

I'm not planning a commercial operation but may do a hobby farm approach a few years down the road when I'm retired assuming I can learn all the additional things I need to know to do that successfully.

comments?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
insteng

I wouldn't buy one just to pick fruit but if you already had it then it should work fine. You could set it up and swing it around to pick a few trees at a time by using the extension to reach the different trees. It would give you something stable to work off of when you had to pick the taller trees.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 12:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I'd think you'd have trouble reaching anything except the outer fruit. A tree that big will have a lot of fruit inside the canopy.

I'd much prefer smaller trees.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™