Earliest Primocane raspberry

bberry_gwFebruary 4, 2014

The frost always gets the fruit in the fall on the ones that I have now. I think these are the Heritage. What a waste to see all the green ones turn black. Any new types out there that are 3-4 weeks earlier ripening?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jstubbs_gw

I don't have any experience myself but Nourse farms list several that start a month before Heritage - check out their harvest dates in their raspberry steps to success guide:

Here is a link that might be useful: Nourse Raspberry Growing

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 12:38PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Last I looked Prelude was the earliest (you can guess why they named it that). I grew it and it is an excellent berry, highly recommended.

Scott

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 3:54PM
sportsman1

Prelude is a Florocane.Ripe fruit in early summer.bberry is asking about an early fall bearer.I live in the northern edge of zone 4.My earliest Primocane by far is Polana.Lots of ripe fruit from late August through September.

Unless you have an early spring and late frost,Heritage doesn't make it here either.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 4:50PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

I just wanted to make note that I have seen the first year they sometimes fruit late, but fruit earlier the 2nd year. So don't judge it by one year. I'm not talking about Heritage here, it looks like a late bloomer. I saw this on Fall Gold, and others. The Polish plants must fruit early. I have Polka and that also fruits early. It did the first year too!
I don't have Heritage but a sport of Heritage Kiwi Gold, and that did fruit late, but made it here in 6a.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 6:21PM
RobThomas

Prelude also produces a primocane crop in late summer and continues until frost.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 6:24PM
brookw_gw

Has anyone noticed a difference in taste w/the second cropping of Prelude? Mine last year were so bad I quit picking them. I'd like to blame it on drought, but that usually concentrates the sugars.

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 2:02PM
bob_z6(6b/7a SW CT)

I also like Prelude- mid-June for first and mid-Aug for 2nd crop. As RobThomas notes, they keep producing well until the frost.

Due to SWD, the only worthwhile fall raspberry for me this past year was Anne (yellow). Hopefully it wasn't the worms giving it a bad flavor for you :)

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 7:20PM
bberry_gw

Thanks everyone. From what I have been reading, Prelude may have one of the very earliest crops in the spring. It's second crop in the fall is not much earlier than the Heritage. That second crop is the one I want and I now need an opinion on Polana and perhaps Polka. Anyone out there growing these?

Bookmark   February 8, 2014 at 7:12PM
fruitmaven_wiz5(5)

I'm not growing them, but I have tried them. One of the benefits of living near Madison, and the UW Agricultural Research Station, is their research plot of many varieties of raspberries.

Polka had a medium-sized berry with a very sweet and good flavor.

Polana had a medium-sized berry with a traditional tart red raspberry flavor.

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 7:02AM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Himbo Top was another for me that produced early. I didn't like the berries very much. Not bad, but others like Polka tasted better. I kept the plant though because it is a prolific producer, out producing all the others. It was nice to have all the berriees, they were not that bad.

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
Wisconsin honeyberry/haskap growers?
I'm combining the two as it seems with continued breeding...
wisconsitom
Getting rid of grape vines.
Is there something other than using a chemical to get...
marylmi
Root control bag to control Mulberry tree size
Hi, I am planning to use a root control bag to limit...
roots_feeding
Blueberries on a slope, how to grade soil?
Hey everyone, I was planting blueberries on a sloped...
towsonite
Can I prevent Fire Blight the way I prevent Peach Leaf Curl?
Okay, so it's pretty easy to prevent peach leaf curl....
frostygardener
Sponsored Products
Old World Classics Pazyrk Antique Red 5 Ft. 3 In. X 7 Ft. 6 In. Rectangular Rug
$599.00 | Bellacor
Artek | A330S Golden Bell Pendant
$330.00 | YLighting
Old World Classics Mamluken Burgundy 5 Ft. 3 In. X 7 Ft. 6 In. Rectangular Rug
$599.00 | Bellacor
Old World Classics Kashkai Burgundy Rectangular: 5 ft. 3 in. x 7 ft. 6 in. Rug
$599.00 | Bellacor
Moon Pendant
Design Within Reach