Plumcot for Southeast

wlh8723(7)February 25, 2014

The southeast is hot and humid. I understand that most plumcots will not do well here. Has anyone had any luck with plumcots? Name the best pure plum for the southeast that would be close to a plumcot in flavor etc.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

WLH,
I never grew any plums back home in east-central AL; just relied on the native Chickasaw types. But, my understanding is that some of the AU (my alma mater, WarDamnEagle!) selections are pretty good - and they were bred in your neck of the woods.
I've tried a number of plums, as well as some pluots, apriums, and peacotums here - all were a bust. But, the 'Guthrie' selection of P.angustifolium is a winner here - and the fruits have a peach-like flavor. If you like that sort of thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Plums @ JF&E

1 Like    Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 1:51PM
RobThomas

Spring Satin is supposed to be a good plumcot for the SE. I just put one in this winter. It was developed in Byron, Ga and is supposed to have good disease resistance. Reviews I've read on its flavor have also been good. You can also search GW as there are lots of threads about it. Additional info below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring Satin

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 4:04PM
jrdgpn(8b/9a)

I have Spring Satin plumcot trees to trade and Amling trees or budwood. I'd like Gafford. I'm new. How does one send a private message? I'm looking for Adams 5 too.

Bookmark   Thanked by wlh8723    February 19, 2015 at 7:34AM
wlh8723(7)

I have Gafford pecan scion wood and want Spring Satin bud wood. I do not know how to use this new houzz message board to send you a message. Help.

Bookmark   February 19, 2015 at 7:42AM
jrdgpn(8b/9a)

I looked in support. Apparently you must enable other users to message you. I made sure mine is. John 850-twotwo8-six099. My spring satin are budding out here in North Florida and we're dipping into the low 20's tonight

Bookmark   February 19, 2015 at 7:53AM
rayrose SC 8

I have Flavor Grenade, Flavor Queen, Flavor Rich & Spring Satin and they all do well for me. I'm in SC. If you want any of the AU series of plums, the best one is Rubrum.

Bookmark   February 19, 2015 at 10:09AM
wlh8723(7)

Rayrose, Thanks , I think I have a comment from Florida. Bill

Bookmark   February 19, 2015 at 10:16AM
More Discussions
Help understanding huckleberries
I recently enjoyed some huckleberry pie and was pleasantly...
pushindirt
Urgent grafting advice: Experiment Antonovka +/- B9 interstem
You can read my previous posts to see photos of my...
hungryfrozencanuck
Blue Berries-acid soil and other vegetable plants
I have been growing blue berry plants intermixed with...
RonCz
Water and other issues with young peach tree
I have a peach tree that was transplanted last spring...
sheckylovejoy
Restoring old and neglected apricot trees. Help!
We moved into a new home in the middle of last summer...
monibucky
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™