Raspberry Shortcake Dwarf Thornless Raspberry

zaphod42February 7, 2014

Would love to have a raspberry patch, but lack the available space and location for the traditional variety. Came across Raspberry Shortcake Dwarf Thornless Raspberry. I'm contemplating the idea of putting it into a container for near the patio. Has anyone tried this dwarf variety? Thoughts? Would I need to overwinter in the garage if it was in a larger container or could I leave it out? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lsoh

I am not an expert. I've been growing only a few fruits in containers for only a few years.

You could probably leave the pot outside for the winter if you bury the pot in leaves. I live in zone 5 and this approach has worked for me in the past (we'll see about -20 degrees.)

Unfortunately, you probably wouldn't get much fruit from raspberries in a single pot. I don't know anything about that variety. But a pot would have room for a limited number of canes. However, a small harvest might be better than none.

Would you consider another type of fruit? I currently grow blueberries, blackberries, and sweet cherries in pots. I think any of those would give you a larger yield.

Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 9:29PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

That raspberry cultivar is meant to grow in a pot. It is more of a bush than a vine. They introduced a couple blueberries too from this breeder. The call all three BrazelBerries. The blueberries are Peach Sorbet and Jelly BeanÃÂ .

Here's some info:
Fruit gardeners with limited space and an eye for beauty will love the the BrazelBerriesî They are new dwarf blueberries and raspberries bred to thrive in containers. True edible ornamentals, they are beautiful in all seasons and produce lots of delicious fruit in small spaces. They are perfect for folks with limited space who want to grow their own healthy food on a balcony or patio. They will also thrive planted in the ground in your yard. Raintree for many years has specialized in edible plants for the different niches in your yard including many varieties that will grow well in pots.

Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 10:41PM
shazaam(NC 7B)

This variety has been discussed a few times here at Gardenweb. Click the link below for a targeted Google search of the forums...

Here is a link that might be useful: Targeted Google Search

Bookmark   February 8, 2014 at 9:40AM
More Discussions
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™