How do you take cherry tree cuttings?

Eric580February 10, 2013

Hello my grandparents have an old cherry tree in their yard that I would like to clone and put in my yard. Should I do this in winter or spring? Also where should I look for suckers and how do I take those?Please help. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Suckers probably aren't going to be the best approach. Reason is it's probably grown on a rootstock different from the fruiting part of the tree.

For grafting you need wood from the strongest growing shoots last year. These might be in the top of the tree or a strong watersprout lower down. Cut those shoots from the base of last seasons growth with about 4-5 buds. Save them in the frige wrapped in a moist towel in a ziplock bag. Preferably away from any ripening fruit. Graft after the rootstock starts growing in spring.

For T budding in late spring you take wood from the strongest new growth and immediately T bud it onto a rootstock like Gisela 5 or Krymsk 6 from Raintree nursery. This is the easiest way because you don't need to store the wood.

If all that seems too difficult, try to find someone to graft or bud your wood. There are pros that do this for a fee but I don't have their names.

The post below might help. It asks the same question for apple.

Here is a link that might be useful: saving an old apple

This post was edited by fruitnut on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 13:15

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™