apples

HomeBusinessFormsFebruary 1, 2013

Last year i planted my first apple trees, 2 varieties (macintosh and red delicious). we did get apples. they reached their ripe stage however the yellow jackets took over. how can i keep them from digging into the apples without spraying toxins in the tree?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dmtaylor(5a (WI))

Bag the apples. Basically put a Ziplock sandwich bag on each one. This obviously works best when the trees are still small enough and only producing a dozen or so apples. Once the trees get older this is more time consuming. But it is very easy and very effective.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 1:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northwoodswis4

Be sure to snip the corners of the ziplock to let out rainwater. I find it easiest to use a paper punch to punch a circle in the center of the zipper for where the stem will go. I do that all in the house first. The cheaper brands of bags seem easiest to put on the marble-sized apples. Some apple varieties have longer stems than others, so are easier to do. Use a scissors to carefully cut off the other apples in the clump. I have problems with so many of the apples dropping after I have bagged, making a mess on the ground. Not sure if there is any solution to that problem, other than bagging more apples than I expect to harvest while thinning them. I wonder if I am squeezing the stems too much when putting the bags on and that is causing the dropping. Northwoodswis

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™