Our Awakening Orchards in Pictures

mes111(5b -Purling NY & 7b -Nassau County NY)February 24, 2014

Hi ..
I would really like t see a slideshow of all of our individual gardens/orchards as they awaken this spring.

How about posting some photos with date, tree type and location as the season progresses.

Should prove nice.

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Puggylover Zone 9B Norco, CA

Eva's Pride A few weeks ago. She is all thinned and has quarter size fruit now.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 3:48PM
melikeeatplants

Goldkist Apricot from last week, San Jose, CA

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 5:23PM
bob_z6(6b/7a SW CT)

I couldn't wait for my orchard to awaken outside. So, I brought in a Carmine Jewel bush cherry right around New Years. This pic is as of about 2 weeks ago, at which point we had a few inches of snow on the ground and 2+ feet more coming in the next week.

Last year, I did the same thing with a potted White Gold cherry tree. It looked nice, but didn't set any fruit. It is still early, but I now see what appears to be small fruit-lets on the Carmine Jewel.

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 11:26PM
Bradybb(wa8)

That's beautiful bob.Is yours grafted? Brady

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 2:19AM
bob_z6(6b/7a SW CT)

As far as I can tell, it isn't grafted. Until I saw someone post about it recently, I thought that all of the Romance series bush cherries were grown on their own roots. In the spring of 2011, I planted it in a plastic Home Depot pot (similar to the one the recently pruned tomato is using, just behind it in the photo). Then 1 year later, I moved it to a 7 gallon Roottrapper (white fabric pot). Other than watering and killing some aphids, I haven't needed to do anything. It grew a nice shape all on its own and had its first two cherries this past summer. In contrast, the two other Carmine Jewel I planted in-ground at the same time haven't done well. One died this past spring and the other is still tiny, only a couple feet high. It has also done better than my other potted fruit trees/bushes, so this may be an idea plant to keep in a pot.

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 8:24AM
northwoodswis4

Bob, I wouldn't expect fruit unless it were pollinated.
Northwoodswis

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 2:33PM
bob_z6(6b/7a SW CT)

Northwoodswis, To the best of my knowledge, Carmine Jewel is self-fertile. I'm not sure if it needs wind or insects, but I have periodically flicked the tree- maybe it will be enough. If not, it was certainly a nice ornamental this winter.

Here's a pic from today. In my hand are a few blooms which fell, I assume without pollination. Above my hand are two small cherries, which seem to be growing. Time will tell.

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 12:44AM
Bradybb(wa8)

Here's a photo of the Carmine Jewels I have.The tall one is grafted on Gisela and the other on it's own roots. Brady

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 3:23PM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™