Planting new trees next to fallen tree

mrsg47(7)February 25, 2013

Hi all. I have two apricot trees arriving in late April. I lost my 'Harglow' in Hurricane Sandy it snapped off at the union graft. The trunk was 4-5" in diameter. I will have to dig up the trunk and most of the roots. The tree was on Lovell and suckered horribly. I will not put a new apricot tree in the same hole, but is it all right to plant the new trees on either side of the hole where the old 'harglow' lived? Many thanks Mrs. G

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

Maybe a bad idea, but I wouldn't be able to resist grafting something onto one of the more vigorous suckers. Why let a huge root system go to waste? The new tree would be in a real hurry to replace the canopy to match the root system below. But I'm kind of a grafting addict...so ignore me and let wiser minds weigh in.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 6:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrsg47(7)

Yukkuri, Maybe its now or never, but what a great idea. The trunk is sticking up about three inches above the ground and is still bright orange. (the tree snapped in Oct. Can I graft part a branch from one of my new apricot trees into the stump? Mrs. G

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™