Growing caroline raspberries in the south

Chris-7b-GA(7b)February 19, 2013

I'm getting my Nourse Farms raspberry order together, they are telling me that the Caroline variety may not perform well in my area, (Atlanta) with our heat and humidity. Any southern growers out there that can shed some light on this subject? I am right on the boundary between zones 7 & 8, thanks, Chris.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrsg47(7)

Dear Chris, if this is any help, I am in zone 7-a a microclimate in Newport, RI. We have a ton of humidity in the summer and a lot of heat. Our humidity translates into fog. Bet you don't get that. My Caroline raspberries which are my favorites thrive in my climate and area. Zone 8 is the problem I think, but there are more knowledgeable people in this forum than I. However, all of my berries are from Norse as well, and if they are giving you a 'heads up' for your zone, I'd listen. Mrs. G

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 11:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shazaam(NC 7B)

I'm in 7B near Charlotte, NC, and I've had mixed results with Caroline. I was optimistic at the end of the first year (2011) because they produced a surprisingly good crop late in the season (mostly in September). Last year, though, they cropped much earlier (July), and the combination of dry weather and insect activity (wasps and yellow jackets) took a real bite out of production. This year, I'm leaving last year's canes standing in the hope that I can get a spring crop while the weather is more favorable. That worked very well for my Heritage plants last year.

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 2:44PM
More Discussions
Plum Tree Experts!!! Is this gonna turn into a fruit?
I have some buds on my plum tree that look like this. Do...
tlbean2004
Blueberry help!
What's going on with this blueberry bush? Is it going...
julia_scheidt
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Surya Rugs angelo:HOME Dried Oregano 2 ft. 6 in. x
Home Depot
Bora Da Pillow
Design Within Reach
Componibili Round Storage Modules by Kartell
$140.00 | Lumens
Fabbian | Tile D95 E37 Ceiling Light
YLighting
Almost Autumn Persuasive Autumn Wood Silver 18-Light Chandelier
Bellacor