Growing caroline raspberries in the south

Chris-7b-GA(7b)February 19, 2013

I'm getting my Nourse Farms raspberry order together, they are telling me that the Caroline variety may not perform well in my area, (Atlanta) with our heat and humidity. Any southern growers out there that can shed some light on this subject? I am right on the boundary between zones 7 & 8, thanks, Chris.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrsg47(7)

Dear Chris, if this is any help, I am in zone 7-a a microclimate in Newport, RI. We have a ton of humidity in the summer and a lot of heat. Our humidity translates into fog. Bet you don't get that. My Caroline raspberries which are my favorites thrive in my climate and area. Zone 8 is the problem I think, but there are more knowledgeable people in this forum than I. However, all of my berries are from Norse as well, and if they are giving you a 'heads up' for your zone, I'd listen. Mrs. G

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 11:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shazaam(NC 7B)

I'm in 7B near Charlotte, NC, and I've had mixed results with Caroline. I was optimistic at the end of the first year (2011) because they produced a surprisingly good crop late in the season (mostly in September). Last year, though, they cropped much earlier (July), and the combination of dry weather and insect activity (wasps and yellow jackets) took a real bite out of production. This year, I'm leaving last year's canes standing in the hope that I can get a spring crop while the weather is more favorable. That worked very well for my Heritage plants last year.

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 2:44PM
More Discussions
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™