Caroline raspberry fall bearing?

pylot(usda 9b sunset 17)February 28, 2014

I have a Caroline raspberry patch. I've heard that it is mostly used as a fall bearing raspberry. However, in our garden, it has a huge harvest in June on old canes (seems to me, maybe 5 lbs from a 3 ft by 3 ft area), and then it barely fruits again in the fall. Anyone else noticed this?

1. Is this due to the fact that I keep long canes (5-6 ft tall) over the winter? It seems that the new canes coming up in spring don't get enough light before I prune the old canes in early July, so maybe this is why the fall harvest is practically non-existent.

2. If I were to totally remove all the canes in winter and get rid of the early summer harvest, would I get a similarly huge harvest in the fall?

Thanks for advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

On Question 1, yes they lose some energy and the plant itself cannot concentrate just on new canes. It has to feed the old canes too. So maybe you would have a bigger crop if no floricanes. How much bigger though is the question?

On 2, not sure? I think you need to experiment. They say it should give you a big fall crop. But I think it depends on cultivar. My Fall Gold gives a decent fall crop if no floricanes, or if floricanes. So it makes sense for me to harvest both with that cultivar. I'm confused by the advice myself as I don't understand how 1/3 of the plants (fall crop) will produce more than the other 2/3 (summer crop).
My summer crops are huge!

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 5:41PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

If you want fall raspberries you need to prune all of the canes down in the winter.

Scott

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 6:30PM
melikeeatplants

I have Caroline in Nor Cal. Gives me fruit twice, cut the top 1/3 off the priomcane after it fruits. Cut the floricane the next year after it fruits. I'm sure the fall crop would be larger with no floricanes but I prefer longer season of raspberries.

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 6:38PM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™