Making Multi-Grafted Apples

quillfredFebruary 6, 2013

This is obviously a complex issue. I have more scions than I have room for as single trees- not that I'm complaining. My goals are to build ideally healthy trees that are fairly balanced. I know to use similar vigor and pollination times. I'll use 3 or 4 varieties per tree. My goal is less about high production and more about discovering varieties.

My questions stem (I know)on when to use the various methods. I guess bark or cleft is the choice when doing serious limb removals. However I am wondering how to add onto a still desired 4 year tree: whip and tongue best when possible? Am I limited to the higher portion of the tree due to vigor? I'm guessing it is easiest to multi bud on a younger rootstock.

Also does anyone know of a good resource to figure this out? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan haigh

I use water sprouts near the beginning of established scaffolds that I want to replace or WS connected directly to the trunk. Good sun exposure is essential.

I let the graft grow straight up for a year or two but before it's too stiff I spread it to 60 degrees or so. If it's over an existing branch I use that for an anchor and remove it once new graft is established.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 5:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quillfred

Thanks Harvestman. I'll give it a try.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 12:10PM
More Discussions
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™