Suggestions for supporting an apple tree

prestons_garden(9B SZ 22 HZ 6 SoCal)February 4, 2013

I will have to thin this little tree's buds or I will have no branches, small apples and very little flavors. I would like to hear some suggestions on supporting the branches to prevent them from breaking. This tree is in a container and is 3 years old. It's an anna apple.

Also, how to detour the pesky possum's. Last year, they got way too many apples. This year I need some type of solution without harming the critters. Trapping and moving them to a different location will be my last resort.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Build a cage around it sorta like the one in the background. That will support the branches and keep out the critters. Here I'd need mesh small enough to keep out the birds as well. My main critters are birds and coon.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 2:49PM
prestons_garden(9B SZ 22 HZ 6 SoCal)

Well there you go, the answer was right in front of me. I don't know what I would do if I was all alone.

Thanks fruitnut.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 3:50PM
ltilton

Keep in mind that not all those buds will set fruit and many/most/all of the fruitlets will drop of their own accord. The tree may well solve the problem on its own.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 5:37PM
prestons_garden(9B SZ 22 HZ 6 SoCal)

How many apples do you think can be grown on this tree without it overbearing, have good flavors and a decent size?

As of today there are 240 fruitlets, 1,300 flowers. I would say it's a big jump as last year this tree had less then 15 fruitlets. I will have to do a lot of thinning this year. I will not wait for natural fruit drop to take place knowing it will consume too much energy as this tree is only 5ft. and in a container.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
What is wrong with my Blueberry plant?
Hi, My blueberry (rabbiteye) plant seems to have developed...
bopwinter
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Last year I had no nectarines
What have I done right with this tree to give me so...
mrronny
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™