Concord Grapes in Texas?

SteveABC(8 Dallas)February 21, 2011

I have a seedless Concord grapevine in my backyard and I am not sure if it will survive and produce fruit. I would like to know if it is worth keeping or if i should rip it out and plant a better suited one (if so some suggestions would be great) Also I would like to know if Seedless Concord grapes are Genetically modified(GMO)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

My experience with grapes is you'll know real soon how it does. If the plant has any size you should know this summer. What I've heard is that seedless concord is a very shy yielder. Even regular concord doesn't like hot climates. I'd be very surprised if the seedless version is GMO.

Bookmark   February 21, 2011 at 11:29PM
charleslou23

whew was bout to buy some young concord grape plants at home depot the other day.... they were dark purple type. Wonder what kinda grape is suitable for zone 9?

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 10:45PM
fruithack

Concord seedless is one of the most maligned varieties on this forum, regardless of locale. I've read that a grape breeder named Munson did a lot of variety development in Texas in the early 1900's, and his grapes are still considered among the best. "America" seems to be his best known grape with Champanel in second.

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 11:12PM
SteveABC(8 Dallas)

Well I guess its coming out. What are some good varieties for Dallas, To get technical it is actually Frisco, Texas and my county to the north is zone 7 and the south is 8. In the summer we get up to about 105 degrees ferinheight. I would prefer to have a Non-GMO variety that is a good, sweet table grape.

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 11:45PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Steve:

You might want to look into Jupiter a dark seedless grape from the Arkansas breeding program. It has a bit of a muscat flavor and is pretty hardy. It's generally considered the best tasting hardy table grape.

If you want the best grape I've ever eaten look for Summer Royal. But it will require more spraying, possibly a lot more. And it won't be as hardy but should survive any cold you get in the Dallas area.

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 9:01AM
johnnycadoseed(z9NV sunset 11)

Steve,
I live in the Las Vegas, NV area (zone 9) with scorching summertimes. I have a Concord seeded and a Concord seedless. They both are thriving and fruit very well. They receive approx. 3 hours morning sun and approx. 4 hours afternoon sun. You might want to rethink pulling it. At least, see what happens over the season.
John

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 2:35PM
mail_watels_com

I just bought concord at home depot in dallas; I would like to know how to prepare the soil

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 8:21AM
mrtexas(9a)

Forget the concord or any European grapes in Texas. Stick with muscadines if you want to have any success. Google Pierce's disease to find out why.

Here is a link that might be useful: mrtexas

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 9:50AM
backyardener(z6 Idaho)

That's a bit harsh... there is a successful wine industry in Texas. I know several people who do grow all types of grapes (including vinifera) in Texas.

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 11:22AM
melikeeatplants

Concord is American grape, here are some more American grapes if you're not interested in European varieties...

Here is a link that might be useful: American Grapes

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 1:46PM
More Discussions
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Has anyone elses asian pear (20th century) come out of dormancy?
Everything else is going gangbusters but there isn't...
fireballsocal
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™