Peach tree pruning

bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)February 11, 2013

I will start by saying I know nothing about peach trees.....I planted 7 bareroot trees last winter and have been absolutely amazed with the speed of their growth. From dime and nickel size trunks to a year later the biggest trunk is larger than a tennis ball with a canopy 10 feet across. They are just covered currently in blooms and the earliest type already has quarter size peaches on it.

The trees have some pretty big limbs that are growing up through the middle of the tree that I know must go....my question is do I leave them and let them produce fruit then prune them? Or should I take them off now? I want to try summer pruning the trees.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan haigh

Take them off now and open the trees up. You'll still get plenty of fruit on remaining trees and you need to get a handle on them ASAP if they are growing that rapidly.

Maximum of 4 scaffolds is all you need- I like just 3.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 4:17PM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Thanks for the reply. I picked my scaffolds at planting but then did not prune again all summer as I was told the tree needed all the leaves it could get. The upright limbs came off the scaffolds near their base. I will remove them.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 8:10PM
alan haigh

Main thing is to keep enough sun hitting the interior of the scaffolds that new wood is generated along the entire length of them and you don't end up with a doughnut affect of empty wood on the interior after a couple or few years.

Summer pruning of most aggressive uprights is extremely helpful for this purpose.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 9:18PM
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

If you lived up north, maybe you'd need more leaves on the tree, but you're in FL, so I wouldn't worry about it. The growing season is long enough, and there is plenty of rain and sun for those trees to grow like gangbusters.

Fruiting wood is usually about pencil thickness, and you can even trim that by up to 50%, in order to thin the crop in advance.

Typically people aim for a goblet or funnel shape, with an open center.

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 12:08AM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Well I am sure I am going to screw it up as part of the learning process but on the plus side peach trees don't live that long:)

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 8:02AM
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

Your tree at age to take work glove rub off all buds fruit on top side limbs ones leave form peaches on outside limb this load pull limbs down by weight fruit this spread Tree. And later outside bud grow outward before turn upward that give more spreading.
The above good way thin crop thinning crop on outside limb be easy thinning. I like 8 foot prune up and to sides this give total 16 foot spread over 8 ft. limbs load to heavy and some brake.
Nematodes like peach tree roots.

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 9:55AM
More Discussions
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
Toxic Waste:
I have been told by a Nursery friend of mine not to...
loneranger_grow
Early-Spring and General Spray Questions for 4-yr old Maryland Orchard
Hi all, I planted the following fruit trees in Spring...
lindsgardeninmd
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™