Silver Tips Too Soon?

WrittenOnWater(N. VA 7a)February 10, 2014

I apologize if the answer is obvious, but I'm rather new at this. I have two 1.5-year old apple trees, a Granny Smith and a Golden Delicious. The Golden Delicious continues to remain dormant.

However, I first noticed about a month ago that the Granny Smith is entering the silvery tip phase (losing its hard wood-like exterior on the buds and becoming gray/fuzzy). I just checked last weekend again and it's getting bigger and more fuzzy - there's almost no wood-like exterior left.

Given that the weather is still in the 20s-30s, is this happening too soon? If so, is there something I can do to slow the process down? I'm also not sure why the Granny Smith is growing while the Golden Delicious remains dormant.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Fruiting buds develop over winter and different varieties develop differently. This is all you are seeing -- its not really silver tip. I have some pears that look ready to bloom out compared to the trees next to them.

Scott

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 4:29PM
WrittenOnWater(N. VA 7a)

That was fast! Thank you!

And thank you also for the poms - I've been trying to care for them according to the instructions I've read but am very curious if they've taken. Is it usually about a month before they start rooting?

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 4:41PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Ah I didn't realize who you were. Its funny that the pear observations I referred to above I had made during your visit.

For the poms you usually see baby roots in a couple weeks. I usually root in some way I can inspect the roots, either wrapped in wet paper towel or in sand.

Scott

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 6:11PM
WrittenOnWater(N. VA 7a)

Ah, I must've forgotten in the midst of all the information I learned!

Good to know for next time. One of the grape cuttings is actually breaking dormancy already. It's got the beginnings of a fuzzy gray tip!

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 10:29PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

You didn't miss it, it was just something I noticed while showing you some pear buds.

For the grapes they can bud out on top before they have produced roots on the bottoms. Usually it doesn't have a big effect on the final outcome but if the top gets too far ahead of the bottom it can be bad. When I root grapes I try to heat the bottoms more than the tops, that slows down the tops a bit.

Scott

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 8:37PM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

Hey Scott,

Did you happen to get my email? I sent it a few days ago.

Pardon me for interrupting this thread, but I knew no other way of contacting Scott.

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 10:15PM
More Discussions
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
Need help choosing dwarf fruit trees.
These trees will be planted at my own Indianapolis...
URES
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™