Spacing of fruit trees

sheisaeval(Dallas, Texas)February 12, 2013

I've been doing research but I feel like different sites say different amount of spacing needed for certain fruit trees. So I just wanted to know, with your experience and opinion, what would be a good minimum spacing required for these fruit trees?

fuyu persimmon
texas everbearing fig
elberta peach
methley plum
moorpark apricot

navaho blackberry

Also, I am going to get these bare foot probably, but I also wanted to know if you would recommend or not putting compost in the hole with the tree while planting, and if you would recommend root stimulators/activators or not?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericwi

We have everbearing red raspberries, I think they are Heritage, and over the past 15 years, I have finally settled on three foot spacing between clumps. The thing is to avoid having an impenetrable thicket. I also grow blueberries, and typically I keep them four feet apart, although commercial growers space them around 8 feet, to my knowledge.

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 5:48PM
mrcaballus

Spacing seems to depend on how much time you want to devote to pruning, your rootstock, and how big you want your trees. Dave Wilson Nursery (as I recall) says you can plant in an 8x8 grid, but they assume you're keeping the trees small, and are pruning during the summer. I put my trees on a 12x16 spacing because I'm willing to deal with bigger trees, the orchard is 'right' for that spacing, and don't feel like pruning when the temps are into the high 90's.

I'd tell you to look at your space, and figure out an esthetic spacing, and go with that. You're going to have to look at them for a while. ;)

I'd also probably plant the fig separately if I could, since they seem to do well in drier soil. But that's just my thing.

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 6:38PM
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

I agree with MrCaballus - depends what you want.

I like my trees small, easy to harvest and easy to prune.

Below is a video on high-density planting, from dave wilson as mentioned above. There's more info at their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dave Wilson youtube on high density planting

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 7:20PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

If you are pruning to pedestrian height (for harvest without a ladder) I would make them about 8' apart in rows 12' apart. Larger spacing is better if you want taller trees, and smaller is better if you have too little room.

Don't add compost to the hole and don't use any activators. The only exception is if the soil is low in organics, then you can add up to 1/4th or so compost - no more than 1/4th.

Scott

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 9:31PM
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

Oh, yeah, be careful with the fig. Despite doing OK in dry conditions, they are water hungry and have invasive roots. Better not to plant close to the house and other trees.

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 4:05AM
More Discussions
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™