What does "moderate vigor" look like?

oldryderFebruary 25, 2014

Read the "carpet mulch" thread with interest.

Much discussion revolved around the idea that mulch is used (or not) as needed to maintain moderate vigor of the trees as this condition produces the best fruit.

So ... how would a rookie with 3-6 year old apple, cherry, & plum trees identify trees with low, moderate, and excessive vigor.

I assume "low vigor" would be characterized by little growth and few blossoms year to year. other indicators are ...?

Excessive vigor would include many vertical new growths and maybe water sprouts?. other indicators are ...?

as always thanks in advance for advice. Those of you with springtime in full swing count your blessings. Up here in the north it's been a cold one for the record books and we are STILL consistently 15 to 20 degrees below normal highs.!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Vigor is often expressed as the length of new growth each year. For a non bearing young tree new growth will be a lot more than on a mature bearing tree. For apple I'd want 3-4ft on a young tree and ~12 inches on a bearing tree. Your climate would support less growth particularly on a young tree than mine. I don't need to be concerned about winter damage and my growing season is two months longer.

The stone fruit can grow a lot more than apples or pears. In some climates there could be 4-5ft growth even on moderate vigor bearing trees. I try not to get that much and summer prune if I do.

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 4:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan haigh

Here I like a mature peach to have most one year shoots in the 12-18" range, evenly distributed throughout the tree. On a moderately vigorous tree between say 5 and 20 years old there will also be some more vigorous water sprouts that I would want to be able to remove entirely. If there is an inadequate supply of right sized shoots I will stub cut water sprouts to a couple of inches to encourage more shoots the next year.

Apple trees are more difficult to specify because they have such a wide range of growth habits, fruiting habits and rootstocks.

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 8:09PM
More Discussions
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
hard freeze coming & peach trees are blooming!
any tricks for saving the fruit?? this happened last...
rober49
Strange world of paw paw's
Because the extended drought in my area my paw paw's...
persimmonbob
Where to buy Titan, Vernon, and Ochlockonee Blueberry plants?
I live in East Texas between DFW and Texarkana off...
sidpost
conflicting pawpaw spacing info
Last week I planted several dozen paw paw. I had read...
Bushwhacker Blood
Sponsored Products
Saratoga Stripe Ava 6-Light Bronze Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Dimond D1837 Hamilton Desk Lamp - D1837
$106.00 | Hayneedle
Bubble Club Sofa by Kartell
$1,250.00 | Lumens
Diner Bar Stool Set of 2 in Black
$179.00 | LexMod
Dallas Chandelier by Arteriors
$3,360.00 | Lumens
Classic Navy Ticking 14x14x11 Drum Shade (Spider)
$79.91 | Lamps Plus
Palla Satin Nickel Halogen Mini Pendant with Flat Canopy and Carrera Glass
$229.50 | Bellacor
Pink & White Square Ribbon Plate
$22.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™