Good Fruit Grower magazine, good read

fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TXFebruary 16, 2013

This month there are good articles on fire blight, irrigation, and grow regulators to promote branching and reduce excess vigor. Any serious fruit grower should consider a subscription, $75 for three years. About 16 issues per year. Since it's out of WA it centers on that industry. But there are frequent articles about the Eastern and Midwestern US.

I've been a reader since the 70s. No affiliation or any other reason to promote other than all I've learned over the years.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan haigh

Been a subscriber for years and agree. Its front covers are things of beauty as well. New Yorker and it are all I subscribe to through the mail, and NYer sub. is a continuing gift from my mother.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 9:18AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I've been growing since 71 and only possibly ever had fire blight one time. That tree hit the ground so fast it bounced right into the trash, well almost. Anyone with fire blight should read this issue. There are numerous new control methods and materials.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 9:40AM
pawpawbill(7a)

what magazine?

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 10:33AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Good Fruit Grower. Website link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Good Fruit Grower

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 10:55AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Darn, was hoping the article on Fireblight was available online, but alas, I do not see it.

Patty S.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 12:56PM

fruitnut, I cannot find the article about Fireblight in the February issue? I just flipped through the digital version, so maybe it's not in the digital version but only in the print version?

Patty S.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 7:19PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Patty:

It's in the Febr 15 vol 64 no 4 edition. The last one posted is no3 the Febr 1 edition. There are 17 issues per year. My guess is the no 4 will be posted in a week or two.

I just renewed for three more years.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 7:44PM

Ah, that explains why I could not find the article! I'll wait a bit, and check back in a few for the new issue. Thanks, fruitnut.

Patty S.

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 9:51AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I have been getting it for five years or so. I would say its probably best for most of us home growers to just skim the website every couple of months, the online version is only one month out of date. About 80% of the content is industry stuff I don't really care about. Well, its still interesting to read about the new automated harvesters etc, just not particularly relevant.

Scott

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 3:09PM
alan haigh

Also, your own landgrant university (through cooperative extension) has most info of what's available and affective in your own state for any pest control issues. Many of the products discussed in Good Fruit are not packaged for home growers and sometimes only legal in Washington State.

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 6:07PM
ca_cherry_grower

I subscribe to Western Fruit Grower and its free. It is also geared to commercial growers which I am, but there are still good general purpose articles in it.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 10:48PM
More Discussions
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™