Grafted Carmine Jewel

Bradybb(wa8)February 14, 2014

All the reading that I've done refers to Carmine Jewel Cherry being sold,growing on it's own roots.
I pre-ordered one from a local nursery and picked it up yesterday,to find out that it's on Gisela rootstock.
I want to grow it as a bush and am not sure what kind of growth it's going to have.
Does anyone else have one of these grafted versions?I'm interested in how they turn out. Thanks,Brady

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Americanchestnut

That's really interesting Brady, I ordered one for this spring also and am planning on growing it as a shrub. I wonder how easy they are to propagate through layering or cuttings.
You might consider planting it deep enough that the graft is well buried so that it can root. Then maybe the suckers would be from the carmine jewel.

Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 9:16PM
canadianplant

People keep mentioning about evans having the same thing done to them. since both are bred to be frown in the north maybe grqfting on mazzard or others makes it possible to grow them further south..... it does eliminate the trees natural small size though.

Bookmark   February 15, 2014 at 9:07AM
clarkinks(5b)

Brady,
I'm thinking of grafting carmine jewel to Prunus mahaleb pontaleb. Is there a patent anyone knows of or any reason you can think of not to do it? I have 50 of the root stocks I've been growing out for a year and a row of mature carmine jewel cherries I could collect scion wood from.The reason for me is simply $'s because 50 rootstocks are $37.00 and 50 carmine jewels are $12- $35 each.

Bookmark   November 27, 2014 at 10:29PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Perhaps the US has such a demand on these Canadian pie cherries on their own root but can't fill orders,...so they graft.

I don't think you go much wrong,..sometimes it can be of benefit when grafting,..like less or none suckering, more productive, tree shape, etc.
Plant it and see if you can root some branches down the road by layering, if the branches are too high up to bend/grow in the ground, I'd put a pot on a stool or something.

Bookmark   November 27, 2014 at 11:34PM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™