Planting new trees near a freshly cut trunk

ahajmano(sunset 23, Mission Viejo CA)February 18, 2013

Hi all!

I just had a hedge of 30 year old Cali pepper trees cut to make way for some fruit trees. The trees were along a block wall. I just planted a pakistan and white mulberry tree 10' apart.

After hours of digging two 2' diameter holes and removing all the roots to a depth of 18", I planted them on a slight mound.

Question is, the surrounding area is still riddled with tons of roots, both big and small. Will this slow the growth of the new trees? Won't it take years for the 1' diameter trunks to rot?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ahajmano(sunset 23, Mission Viejo CA)

This is the white mulberry

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 6:17PM

Pakistan

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 7:06PM
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

Yes, it will take years, but that's not a bad thing. Slow-release fertilizer.

The big thing is going to be to prevent those trunks from suckering. I'd cover them in a big pile of manure topped with yard waste and a thick layer of wood chips.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 7:14PM
melikeeatplants

I agree about the suckering. Cal Pepper trees are survivors. I know a guy who has been cutting his flush the ground for 3 years and it keeps popping back up. He is now trying to poison it somehow...

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 11:46AM

That's a bummer... I do have a lot of mulch left after clearing the trees. I think I will take the suggestion to put a layer of manure down with some mulch a d see if it prevents the suckering. Otherwise, I wil need to mechanically remove them, which could take years by my lonesome.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 12:29PM
glib(5.5)

To prevent suckering, you need to put down something strong, not just wood chips. You can start with the strongest cardboard you can find, covered in chips. Once it pushes through, cut the shoot and reapply cardboard, raking temporarily the chips aside. This will not eliminate but reduce suckering, and weaken the tree faster. I have some stumps cut in 2009, many injected with fungi to accelerate decay and get something edible, and they are still suckering now.

If you want to minimize work, put down wood planks. Those should be enough to prevent suckering for 3 years, probably resulting in death of the stump.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 4:53PM
More Discussions
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
Blackberries in the age of SWD
It seems that spotted wing Drosophila is making blackberry...
marc5
Last year I had no nectarines
What have I done right with this tree to give me so...
mrronny
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™