Snow damage on bush fruits, ideas to protect?

fireweed22February 8, 2013

We receive a lot of snow over winter, there is often 3' deep snow on the ground.

When weather warms, that 3' compacts and rips off any lower branches on young fruit trees so I always clip them off before snow flies.

My issue is blueberries, gooseberries, currents etc etc etc. First winter they were fine being so small. This year I tried to pull snow away from their bases. Over 100 plants so huge job. The snow has just melted back quite a bit and there is still tons of damage. Both broken tips, and big branches from the base.

Any other ideas? This alone will take away probably 20% of the harvest, so, I need to work something out!

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrsg47(7)

Our forum friends from Canada should be able to help you out with this problem. Where do you live in Canada?

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 7:44PM
canadianplant

Youre forgetting the Minnesotans MrsG lol

Up here we receive "reliable" snow falls of 3 feet. The record snowfall in a day is 6 feet.

I havnt noticed any major damage due to snow. The only places I have problems are where the eves dont have an end, or where there are none at all (basically heavy falling rain and ice). To be fair, a good portion of my plants and trees are new.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 10:20PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

It would be good if you update your page with zone and where you live.

I think heaving snow is better then none,..even with some of the drawbacks.

100 shrubs is not that many to knock the snow off,.. take a broom. I have much worse damage from moose.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 10:53PM
fireweed22

I've found the heaving snow causes plenty of damage, I've had many small fruit trees damaged. Even this year the snow was deeper than I had expected and lost small branches just over 3' from the ground.

Yes coming home from work in the dark to shovel around the 100+ bushes by flashlight to be serious stuff and hoped there was a trick. Looking forward for taller growth and may end up staking each and tying up for winter in coming years.

Consider electric fencing for your moose... ground + positive real close together.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 11:17PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Are you heaving leaves on your plants? This would make it worse. I don't think you need to shovel, just shaking and staking when small.

>>rips off any lower branches on young fruit trees Are you talking about apple trees?

I don't want to fence, love the wildlife,..my motto, grow more for nature and me.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 12:39AM
More Discussions
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Bareroot pruning of a multi-branched nectarine?
Just picked up a bareroot Snow Queen and it has several...
brownmola
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™