Blueberry fertilizer options

riverman1February 14, 2013

Guys, I recently had a ph test done on about 6 of my 20 plants and the ph ranged from a low of 3.8 to a high of 5.0. I have used ammonium sulf in the past but given the low ph numbers I am seeing I think it would best to try something else this spring. I was thinking about a general purpose fertilizer like miracle grow but wondered what others might think.

Thanks,

RM

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Don't use anything loaded up with nitrates. I've read that Urea is good and doesn't lower the pH like ammonium sulfate.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 8:27PM
Bradybb(wa8)

riverman,
I remember one of your posts last year about Fish/Kelp/Molasses.That shouldn't do too much at all to the pH. Brady

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 9:40PM
ericwi

I am using Schultz's Plant Food, acidic formula, mixed at one tablespoon per 4 gallons of water, 4 applications per shrub per year, in March, April, May, & June, on each of our blueberry shrubs. This is a minimal amount, enough to feed the flowers and stimulate woody growth. Our shrubs are healthy & productive, but I am not seeing commercial yield level.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 9:44PM
Chris-7b-GA(7b)

Another option that is cheap and easy to apply is cottonseed meal. I got a 40 lb. bag at a feed and seed store for around 25 dollars. I threw a few hand fulls on my 2 year old plants and they really perked up. Besides being cheap, cottonseed meal organic, slow release, will not burn the plants.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 7:22AM
More Discussions
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™