How long can a bare root blueberry stay in it's packaging?

olivesmom(7b)February 2, 2013

I was at Costco today purchasing, among other things, a flat of primroses when I spotted bare root blueberry plants. I picked up two, which was actually four plants because there are two plants per package. Spartan, legacy, Darrow and chandler are the varieties I got.

My plan was to plant the blueberries in a large galvanized watering trough as we will be moving in a couple of years, plus I have limited gardening space. The thing is though, I won't be buying the watering trough or the soil (having a lot of soil delivered when I construct my raised beds) for another month or two.

Can I leave the blueberry plants in their packaging? It looks like they are in sawdust wrapped in a plastic bag? Should I just set them out on the patio? They will get a lot of rain there.

I probably should have waited to buy them, but things don't stick around at Costco for long and I figured the price ($11.99 for two plants) was a good deal.

This post was edited by olivesmom on Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 21:59

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bradybb WA-Zone8

olivesmom,
They should be okay as long as the roots are moist.It is still fairly cool here and will probably stay that way for a month or two or three.
How large is the watering trough?Those varieties can get big and need at least three feet between each other.
Spartan and Darrow are two of my favorites,like fine wine.I planted a Legacy last year and had a few berries,very nice.Chandler berries will be big and sweet. Brady

This post was edited by Bradybb on Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 21:47

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 9:42PM
olivesmom(7b)

I'm planning on an oblong trough that's 2x2x4, with maybe 2-3 blueberry plants per trough. There is also a 2x2x6. I haven't been to the store yet though, just online.

We will be moving in three years or less, so would it be so bad to plant them a little closer now and then upon moving replant with more space (ideally in the ground)?

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 9:58PM
Bradybb WA-Zone8

Yes that may work.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 10:38PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

The plants would be crammed if you use the troughs you've suggested which would stunt the plants growth overall. Then, when you put them in the ground, they would have to recover before they could begin to grow.

I suggest you do yourself a favor. "gift" those plants to someone then wait until you move to obtain more which will go directly into the ground.

Here's some info about growing blueberries successfully:
http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/12202/ec1304.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: growing blueberries

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 8:04PM
More Discussions
Jujube hardiness zones
According to Willisorchards.com the Li and Lang Jujube...
garprob1
Avo tree grafting
I received this tree from a neighbor. Seed grown, not...
tim45z10
First time tree planter, need pruning advice.
I know there some some people that say not to prune...
speedster1
Need help/advice for my orchard
I have a small orchard of about fifty trees. Apple,...
Jerry Merck
Shaping and pruning some BYOC trees
In January I planted two peaches and two pears, intending...
brittanyw
Sponsored Products
Custom Accent Armchair
Home Decorators Collection
Holstebro 3-light Ceiling Lamp
Overstock.com
Pure Rugs | Double Dutch Cowhide Rug
YLiving.com
Delano II Ceiling Fan by Minka Aire Fans
$349.95 | Lumens
Chintaly Gina Dining Side Chairs - Set of 2 - CTY1245
$286.44 | Hayneedle
Long Red Rim Plate
$14.99 | Dot & Bo
Meditub 29x53 Right Drain White Whirlpool & Air Jetted Wheelchair Accessible Bat
Beyond Stores
Mercury One-Light Satin Nickel Bath Fixture
$140.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™