trouble shooting + tincture making help please

lwowk(6-B NJ)January 27, 2011

I recently tried making a cinnamon tincture for the first time. Rather than use cinnamon powder I used cinnamon bark chips and 80 proof plain vodka. I filled a small mason jar about 2/3 full of cinnamon chips and then poured in vodka to the top. I let it sit in a dark cabinet for 2 weeks shaking it several times a day. When I went to strain out the tincture I found to my surprise a rather viscous liquid. This is quite different from the cinnamon tinctures I have bought in the past (don't recall it being viscous at all)and am not sure now of what to do. Is this normal? do I just dilute it with more vodka? Is it safe to use?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Viscous? You mean like something went bad and got ooey gooey or too much of the liquid got absorbed, or what?

I suspect that too much of the liquid got absorbed but obviously, I can't say that for sure.

BTW, another term used for tincture is "extract," especially with culinary items. Check out the link below.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Results - making cinnamon extract

Bookmark   January 27, 2011 at 12:48PM
lwowk(6-B NJ)

When I say viscous I mean that it was the consistency of egg whites. :(

I'll check out the link thanks

Bookmark   January 27, 2011 at 2:04PM
WyldViolet

That's perfectly normal for Cinnamon tincture, and there is no need to dilute that gooey cinnamon-y goodness :)

If the cinnamon tinctures you have purchased in the past were not gooey, then there was something wrong with THEM, and they were processed incorrectly.

You see this a lot with Echinacea tinctures - store bought are perfectly transparent and liquid, home-made have a layer of thick white stuff at the bottom (inulin - good stuff!). When people make Echinacea tincture for the first time, they typically freak out and wonder what they did wrong and why that white stuff is there. Businesses typically strain out the inulin so as to not gross out customers, so 'store bought' never should equate with 'the standard we should strive for'

Bookmark   June 14, 2012 at 3:59AM
kaliaman

Cinnamon is a demulcent herb so the gooey slime is normal, agree with WyldViolet on that. Some varieties of cinnamon are more demulcent than others.

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 3:56PM
theherbalist2012

kaliaman:

I could be wrong, but cinnamon is more drying and warming. Great yang tonic. Not so much a demulcent according to my experiences in using it.

theherbalist
charlie

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 5:21PM
kaliaman

Cinnamon is actually one of the very few demulcent yang tonics being hot, spicy and moistening. Most moistening herbs are cool so cinnamon is especially useful.

As others in this thread have pointed out from their personal experience cinnamon is viscous and gooey which is where the demulcent property derives. : )

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 8:00PM
More Discussions
Looking for a Neurodermatitis recipie.
I'm looking for a recipe for Neurodermatitis condition...
SolusUmbra
7 Powerful Turmeric Health Benefits & Side Effects
http://draxe.com/turmeric-health-benefits/
JCTsai
Permanent dark eye circles?
Hi everyone, My boyfriend has what seems to be permanent...
Hapslappy
home remedy for kittens with ringworm
My son brought home two kittens. One has very choppy...
toadlilly
Help... need your advice...
Hi, I know that there are a lot of knowledgable herbalists...
beth1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™