Herbs indoor

fsbaksh82January 4, 2014

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum. I received an herb seed set that includes parsley, thyme, cilantro, basil, dill, oregano, chives, mustard, sage and garlic chives. How do I start an indoor garden. From reading some posts, basil needs to be potted separately. What can I plant in a 24" window box, 12 ounce tin cans? I am mostly interested in parsley, thyme, cilantro, basil, oregano, chives and sage. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

Basil likes/tolerates more water than some other culinary herbs (like sage).

In general, you want a fast-draining, lightweight indoor mix, a location with plenty of sun (and supplemental fluorescent lighting if need be) and coolish temperatures with a drop-off at night. Watering with a dilute solution of fertilizer from time to time is fine, but don't overdo fertilizer (you'd probably be better off incorporating a slow-release fertilizer in the soilless mix at low levels).

Since this forum is for discussing medicinal uses of herbs, you'll get more responses and information in the Herbs forum.

Good luck!

Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 1:39PM
fsbaksh82

Thanks eric oh. I didn't realize I posted under herbalism.

Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 2:42PM
kaliaman

thyme, oregano, chives and sage are all perennials so put them in containers where they can be happy for a few years.

parsley lives two years and the others are annuals, the basil would like their own pots as they get pretty big, the others would do well in your window box as long as you keep them well watered during the hot part of the summer.

what a nice collection! have fun with it

Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
Herbal Remedies for High Blood Pressure
What Herb is grown for the treatment of high blood...
barb601
Paw Paw
Research information suggests paw paw will prevent...
herbalpower
Headache after B12
I tried taking Vit B12 at the recommendation of my...
ghoghunter
home remedy for kittens with ringworm
My son brought home two kittens. One has very choppy...
toadlilly
warming herbs
How do herbalists today believe that warming herbs...
carrie-ann
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™