Allergies

silversword(9A)January 27, 2009

Have you had herbs work for your allergies?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rusty_blackhaw(6a)
    Bookmark   January 27, 2009 at 6:41PM
maifleur01

I find that for my late summer allergies goldenrod works. I use any of the ones available by picking one or two of the leaves and chewing. I am sorry that I do not know the scientific name of the 6+ feet tall one that I use most often. Depending where I am at I use whatever goldenrod is available in that area.

Bookmark   January 27, 2009 at 11:07PM
silversword(9A)

Hi Eric,
I'm not wondering about specific cures for any allergy, just what has worked for people for their allergies. I didn't want to hijack that thread which was a personal issue with mine, which is a more general issue. But thank you!

Hi Maifleur,
I've heard of goldenrod causing allergies, but never being effective against them! A little 'hair of the dog' perhaps? That's a really interesting idea.

Bookmark   January 28, 2009 at 10:00AM
maifleur01

It works for me. The stronger rosen tasteing seems to do best. I have used in teas but easier to grab a leaf or two as I headed out the door to go to work.

Bookmark   January 29, 2009 at 12:44AM
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

Goldenrod is not considered responsible for hay fever-type allergies, because its pollen is relatively heavy and not easily airborne. It generally gets blamed for hay fever because it blooms at the same time as the inconspicious ragweed, which is a major allergy producer.

The linked thread (given for informational purposes) discusses general allergy and hay fever concerns, and mentions such herbs as butterbur. Research supporting use of this herb for allergies is limited but generally positive.

Bookmark   January 29, 2009 at 11:03AM
simplemary

Hi. I have a wildwoman tea which keeps me liver clean & has done wonders for all the allergies that hit me at middle age... raspberry leaf base, a little licorice because a LOT of dandelion, a little peppermint, a little lemon balm, a fair amount of nettle. Some burdock if I remembered to dig it up & dry it. A pinch of cleavers. Before I started making this (and someone taught me the basics-- I didn't discover it on my own), I would be laid out flat from April to June & September to December, then sick the rest of the winter because of the cats now hibernating in front of the heat ducts. It works for me. You-- you have to tweak it, you know?

Bookmark   February 4, 2009 at 1:40AM
More Discussions
cure for geographic tongue!!! hooooray!!! i found it!!!!!!
What we all have is also known as a "fungus infection...
jtranok
What herbs are you propagating now?
I love this time of year. The majority of the planting...
jll0306
bladder infection
My daugter has a bladder infection. I am giving her...
kfgesq
perimenopause - Oestrogen Dominance
Hi, I am 46 in January and have been going through...
roseenglish
Help... need your advice...
Hi, I know that there are a lot of knowledgable herbalists...
beth1
Sponsored Products
Pet-Aire Germicidal Air Purification System
$499.00 | FRONTGATE
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LR Resources Rugs Fashion Black/Cream
Home Depot
"Hopsy" Spring Gund Bunny - MULTI COLORS
$25.00 | Horchow
Double Flowering Asiatic Lily Bulb - Set of Six
$15.99 | zulily
Rabbit Air | MinusA2 Asthma & Allergy Friendly™ Air Purifier
YLiving.com