Herbs of relaxation

embersmommaJanuary 18, 2007

I live in South Central Kentucky and i was wondering if there are any herbs I can get from "my backyard" to help with depression and relaxation.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Heathen1(10a)

lemon balm? Lemon balm is a mild anti-depressant and a nerve relaxant. I like it, works for me!

Bookmark   January 18, 2007 at 10:27PM
andy_sa(South Australia)

Yep, lemon balm is one of the easiest. Lemon verbena is another (don't know about your climatic zone), as is Passionflower. There are others available commercially in tablet form (better this way as the dose is standardised), such as Valerian and St. John's Wort, but I'd take further advice on the latter, particularly if you're taking other medication or are sun-sensitive.

Bookmark   January 19, 2007 at 5:59AM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

To my mind, Lavender is the number one relaxing herb. Coming a close second is Rose. Chamomile and catnip are others.

Bookmark   January 19, 2007 at 4:43PM
embersmomma

I have a book on vitamins, minerals, herbs and supplements. I read up on a few things in there, such as the St. John's Wart, and Lavender. The Lemon Balm, Lemon Verbena and catnip are new to me. I haven't thought about Chammomile. I did however read that ginseng reduces stress and fatigue as well as other things. Thank You.

Bookmark   January 19, 2007 at 6:09PM
Heathen1(10a)

the thing about ginseng.... what goes up, must come down... so you take ginseng... sure you go up, but then you drop... and get more fatigued. I know.. happened to me. Chamomile is a great relaxer, but not if you have liver issues, it's hard on the liver.

Bookmark   January 19, 2007 at 6:52PM
tennguy(6a)

In KY, in the summer you can find lots of wild Passifloras called "Maypop" growing in fencerows and along the edges of fields. I like to dry the leaves to use later, just like Tea leaves. It relaxes you.
Another one is not native here but pretty common to find; Teaweed or Perilla. Dried it makes a great tea, if used green it will put you to sleep if you're not careful, it's that relaxing.

Bookmark   January 22, 2007 at 8:14AM
katben

Herbs skullcap, catnip, lavender, chamomile, lemon balm, and passion flower all have sedative and anti-anxiety properties.

Bookmark   April 21, 2007 at 5:59PM
irabia

I see many people have already mentioned the herbs, yet it's also about how you use them of course. I've found that fresh lavender cuttings pushed into my pillow help me relax and ensure me good rest. I have this whole routine of products I make for myself - Lavender or Rose from start to finish.. I find lemon verbena to be Energising although Melissa (lemon balm) is soothing. My favourite for relaxing are definately lavender and rose, (not together, of course!)

Bookmark   April 25, 2007 at 10:59AM
jrmankins

I love skullcap, which is now growing in my backyard. I found a start of it up at the cemetery years ago. I dry all I think I will need and mow the rest, as it has taken the place (and the last place, for that matter!)

And I tincture maypop and cultivated passionflower leaves, because I have never had enough of them to dry a year's worth. I have to fight the butterfly larvae for them, would never hurt one of them, but now I do get my leaves early before they really get going.

Great Blue Wild Lettuce, growing to 17' in a long summer season here, comes up wild in my yard and makes a good gentle sedative. I dry the leaves during the year, and tincture the roots at the end of summer. This year I tried drying tiny wild lettuce, whole plant, for the first time, and will try using it same as the giant one. It comes up in late winter here and gets about 12" high, flowers yellow.

Basils are antidepressant, and also rosemary. So I cook with those a lot.

Of course I also love lemon balm, lavender leaf and flowers, whole fresh and dried roses and chamomile. And valerian for the real disasters!
Jeanine

Bookmark   May 16, 2007 at 7:49PM
oakleif(z6 AR)

bump,bump,bump.

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 1:03AM
nutrayoung_gmail_com

I prefer to take herbal supplements and vitamins to help get nutrients

Here is a link that might be useful: vitamins and herbs for relaxation

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 7:26AM
martha_jordan25_gmail_com

Here are some herbs I found-

~Chamomile
~Licorice
~Lemon Balm
~Valerian
~Passion Flower
~Lemon Verbena
~Lavender
~Catnip
~Basil
~Rosemary
~Rose

Happy I could help!

Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 12:19PM
More Discussions
Headache after B12
I tried taking Vit B12 at the recommendation of my...
ghoghunter
Toasted my rose petals, that OK?
Hi all, I'm trying to infuse rose petals into coconut...
emilylyons22
Herbal Remedies for High Blood Pressure
What Herb is grown for the treatment of high blood...
barb601
geographic tongue
For everbody who suffers from geographic tongue, i...
rebeccaguimaraes
cure for geographic tongue!!! hooooray!!! i found it!!!!!!
What we all have is also known as a "fungus infection...
jtranok
Sponsored Products
Malibu 5 Piece Outdoor Patio Sofa Set in White Mocha
$1,309.00 | LexMod
Grand Luxe Egyptian Cotton Sateen 500 Thread Count 3-piece Mini Duvet Cover Set
Overstock.com
Kincaid Pendant by Feiss
$174.00 | Lumens
Vanilla Citrus Home Candle
$37.99 | Dot & Bo
Knoll | Joseph Paul D'Urso Swivel Lounge
YLiving.com