Two pears.

beeman_gardener(5)February 21, 2013

Is that 2 or 4? Silly humour!
I have two pear trees. A Bartlett and a Flemish Beauty in Southern Ontario. Both at least 8 years old and I'm wondering if they are worth leaving in?
Both have been summer pruned, about half as they are growing well, neither one produce any blossoms and so no fruit.
Am I being impatient? When should these have started fruiting? Pull them and replant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Perhaps you pruned off the fruiting wood?

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 12:30AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Pears are very good at producing wood and no fruit. I have many 10-year pears that have never fruited. In retrospect I should have trained them a lot more, summer pruning alone is not the best route. I would recommend getting out there on the next warm day and start bending limbs down to horizontal and tying them there. If they are too big to bend, do 4-5 saw cuts spaced 1/2" to 1" apart on the side you are bending toward, the cuts going 1/3 to 1/2 the way through the limb, that will help it to bend to your will. Also for summer pruning focus on thinning out whole shoots and not so much on heading cuts; turn watersprouts you want to save into horizontal limbs by bending, or remove them.

I am out there doing this same thing to many of my pears this winter. I also planted a new batch on quince rootstock. I don't think its hardy for you so your best route is to train the trees you have.

Scott

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 9:48AM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

Beeman,

In addition to the very good previous responses, damaging the cambium (at a controlled level) can also coax the tree into fruiting. I've had luck doing it.

Take a tree saw to the trunk and cut through the bark (but no deeper) halfway around the tree. Move up the trunk about 2-3" and cut another 1/2 ring into the bark on the opposite side of the tree. Do this about the time the tree would normally bloom. Next year you should get blooms - if it works :-)

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 10:30AM
insteng

Everybody complains about having a hard time getting pears to produce but I have had the opposite results. I have two small trees I bought last year and they are already producing. The older ones produce so much that we have to thin them because they will actually break the limbs from the weight of the pears.

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 10:58AM
beeman_gardener(5)

Just goes to show, "how wrong can you be"? I have always thought Pear trees grew in a more upright shape.
Never heard of of bending branches towards the horizontal. I do it with the apples and get good results.
Thanks to all for the information, will try again.

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 1:00PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

It took about 10 years for mine,..grafting several varieties into for pollination also helped.

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
Help me choose fruit varieties to grow in NJ and nurseries
I have been reading some old posts regarding the fruit...
bemonkey Zone 7 South New Jersey
WHO called glyphosate a "probable carcinogen"
More and more studies seem to be coming out against...
canadianplant
Walnut scion wanted
I know it is getting late but mine are not budding...
jerry63
Suburban backyard "orchard" (Z6 SE NY)
Hello all. I have a new to me house and yard (Zone...
cottage_cheese_z6ny
Sponsored Products
Bling Large Chandelier by Robert Abbey
$1,972.30 | Lumens
Couture Newport Mother of Pearl Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Anjou Wool Area Rug - 1'8" x 2'6"
$69.00 | FRONTGATE
Nelson | Pear - Criss Cross Lamp
$359.00 | YLighting
Middlefield Iron Rust One Light Pendant with Smoked Glass
$289.00 | Bellacor