how to plant a crooked bare root tree?

dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)February 7, 2013

How do I plant a tree where the root stock and the grafted scion do not align with each other? When I plant the tree and have the trunk stand straight up, the root stock will be under the soil at an awkward 45 degree angle, is this ok? Or should I plant the root stock straight, let the trunk stand crookedly and then tie it to a stake to let it straighten out?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

If you plant it as you should,...root stock above soil, the stock is on a angle, [short stem] and tree straight. Not bad, give's the tree a character, or straightening out by tie it to a stake,..but don't brake it. I wouldn't bother, when tree grows larger you can hardly see it.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 11:38PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I'd plant the trunk straight and have the root, below ground, at an angle. Trim the high side of the roots if needed so that the graft union doesn't set too low. I've done this before and it worked.

If the stock is small caliber or if there is a low branch that could become the new trunk, then doing it the other way could work just as well. You won't be able to pull the top straight until after it has rooted for a year. By then it may be too stiff to bend.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 9:27AM
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)

I planted the tree trunk straight with the roots at an angle. Thanks for the advice.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 11:27PM
More Discussions
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
How to shape this Grape Vine
Here is a grafted Perlette Grape Vine growing in it's...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™