A Peruvian mint... known as 'moonya'

dirtslinger2(6)January 16, 2009

Has anyone heard of "moonya"? Pronounces moon-ya, actual spelling I don't know.

It was grown in the highlands. It had smallish leaves, possibly smaller than Mentha aquatica, was around 2' tall, and I saw it growing in malnourished soils.

I would just love to grow the plant here!

Any tips appreciated! Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

Minthostachys setosa

Bookmark   January 17, 2009 at 3:51AM
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

Here's a site that talks about its use as a digestive aid (mints of various kinds have been used for this purpose for a long time).

I don't see any online seed sources (B&T World Seeds used to carry it - maybe they could give you a tip on who still sells it).

Bookmark   January 17, 2009 at 12:45PM
dirtslinger2(6)

Wow thank you both!
I've been reading GW for ages and haven't noticed this board, woo hoo!

Bookmark   January 18, 2009 at 2:26AM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

Incidentally I wasn't able to find anything in English on this plant for any use other than as a pesticide or an antihelminthic and I was unable to read the text as an antihelminthic so I don't know if it was found that it works for this process or if it does not. Apparently it use used by climbers because it has a refreshing smell.

Bookmark   January 18, 2009 at 2:40AM
dirtslinger2(6)

Pesticide? Ouch!
While traveling the highlands I was shown to pick it and make tea with it. It was superb with a few coca leaves as well.
I am quite sure I saw it for sale in packaged tea bags as well but could be wrong on that.
But thanks for the tip there, I will certainly be researching further to ensure I am searching the correct species!

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 12:43AM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

Don't worry about it, all plants produce chemicals that make them unpalatable and or toxic to a variety of animals. What is toxic to use and what is toxic to a caterpillar are very different sets of plants.

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 1:42AM
maifleur01

I posted last night but apparently my puter belched. What I believe you are looking for is Huacatay (tagetes minuta). You will need to find your own source of coca:)))

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 8:10PM
dirtslinger2(6)

Actually I just ordered the Tagetes minuta (Richters Seeds)- it is definitely not the Muna. Tagetes is a marigold, I bought it as a nematode suppressant and it is 'supposed to' be so vigorous as to block out weeds- we'll see about that.
But I am quite sure Minthostachys is what I require- still no luck on sources but will continue looking!

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 1:33PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

If Richters doesn't have the herb you are looking for try Horizon Herbs. They have quite an assortment of plants and seeds available. I've had good results with plants and seeds ordered from them.

If you can't find it there, try asking your question on the Herbs forum. The folks there are quite good at knowing where to get the most uncommon of herb plants and seeds!

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb - Herbs Forum

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 3:04PM
horseplayco_yahoo_com

Definately not huactay - monya is more than a refreshing smell, it is the high altitude answer to staying alive! Instantaneous relief from all symptoms of altitude sickness. I lived near Salcantay for quite a while & used to lead some tours there. This plant - the flowers, fresh specifically, saves lives!

Bookmark   January 25, 2011 at 3:37PM
Rsalasr

The acutal spelling for what you are looking for is: Mu�a. It's scientific name is Minthostachys setosa.

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
home remedy for kittens with ringworm
My son brought home two kittens. One has very choppy...
toadlilly
Headache after B12
I tried taking Vit B12 at the recommendation of my...
ghoghunter
poultice for infection
My boyfriend broke his leg 1 1/2 years ago. He had...
June_Ca
Toasted my rose petals, that OK?
Hi all, I'm trying to infuse rose petals into coconut...
emilylyons22
Poison Control Center substance categories in calls 2011 plants incl.
Thought I'd post this, list of plants with identity...
gnomeinplaid
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™