Any recommendations for Grapes

Jerseymec(6b)February 3, 2014

Hi,
I would like to try growing grapes this spring. I have never grown grapes before. Does anyone have any recommendations on which variety to grow? mostly fresh eating variety.

Thanks,
Jeseymec

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Are you in NJ? Humid areas need different grapes than dry.

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 11:16PM
Jerseymec(6b)

Yes I'm in North Western NJ.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 9:23AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

That should be an easy question but it isn't. Most people want seedless; if you don't care about seeds the answer is easy, get a Swenson Red. But for seedless there is no good answer. Reliance, Canadice, and Jupiter are some of the better ones, but none of them taste like store grapes and there is no uniformity of like for any of the three. My personal favorite is Jupiter. If you want to take a risk the new Arkansas grapes are supposed to be very good: Hope, Faith, Joy, Gratitude. They are new enough that I have not heard a first-hand report from anyone here.

Scott

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 9:46AM
Jerseymec(6b)

Thanks Scott!! Are they self fertile? Do I need two plants of each or two different Varieties? And what kind of diseases control do I need to prepare for?

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 10:31AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

They are self-fertile, one plant is all you need. The primary disease problems are black rot and downy mildew. The former is the worst but takes about five years to build up to a bad level. I use one spray of myclobutanil (Immunox) once per year when the shoots are about 1' long and thats usually good enough. Birds will likely eat all the fruits so they need to be bagged or the whole vine netted. You also need to prune down to about one bud per every two inches of row during the early spring.

Overall its not a lot of work compared to most fruit trees.

Scott

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 10:56AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

I have found the link below to be an amazing resource for grapes. We have a backyard vineyard, and lived in the low dessert. I searched the database for grapes originating from countries with our same climate. They grew and produced easily.

Your local big box stores should sell grapes that grow locally, but you can read about the varieties members here recommend at this link!

Here is a link that might be useful: National Grape Registry

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 11:24AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Desert dance, that list focuses on vinifera and none of those are good for backyard growing in the east. We have far fewer good options out here.

If you want a good general guide for east coast grape varieties I would look at the Double A Vineyards catalog.

Scott

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 4:00PM
mrsg47(7)

I think Double A responds to new grape growers with enthusiasm and they send you a catalogue asap. Just ordered a 'Swenson Red and a 'Hope from Double A, based on the recommendations from Scott . The trellis is already up. Mrs. G

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 6:47PM
Jerseymec(6b)

Thanks everyone!! I will give Hope a try this spring!

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 9:26PM
More Discussions
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™