Question about Japanese

trudyjean82(z8SWGA)February 12, 2008

Magnolia Blooms. I'm asking here because yawl are so smart an are so knowledgeable. A coworker today was being goofy an nibbled (sorta) on a petal of a Japanese Magnolia bloom. Later on he told me that it had made his tongue an mouth numb an his entire body painless. He's had problems with his shoulder an is on light duty, but for a brief moment he was no longer in pain. Said it didn't last that long, but I think it kinda scared him. He wanted to know what it could have been in the blooms natural make up that would have caused this. The tree where I collected the blooms would not have been sprayed with anything just so ya know. I have tried to google info about it but get nothing. Thanks, trudy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy(6)

Tell him not to worry - many plants have a little toxin of one kind or another in them, often the type that numbs tongues, etc. for a short time, but by now the effect has probably worn off (as he said). What that particular chemical was I don't know - may be a variation of similar, if not same, ones that are in other plants, but unless a particular plant is well known to be dangerous, don't worry about them, it's quite common.

Bookmark   February 13, 2008 at 6:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trudyjean82(z8SWGA)

Thank you Lucy.

Bookmark   February 14, 2008 at 5:18AM
More Discussions
thyroid problems
I'd like to know if some of you with thyroid problems...
Peter.1210
Paw Paw
Research information suggests paw paw will prevent...
herbalpower
Salvia D.
Would this be a suitable place to talk about Diviner's...
winterpeg_man
home remedy for kittens with ringworm
My son brought home two kittens. One has very choppy...
toadlilly
herbal medicine
Hello, I am just getting into indoor gardening. I f...
sunny57
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™