Planting Blueberry and Grape Plants

mzcountrychicFebruary 22, 2013

I picked up a blueberry plant and two white seedless grapes. Do I have to wait til the chance of frost is over before I plant them? The weather has been mostly mild, but we have dipped down in temps a few times. Also, the blueberry plant doesn't say anything about pollinating or self-pollinating?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bencjedi(6 - Central Kentucky)

I'm not too sure about when to plant them. I think I put mine in April of 2007 and we were still in danger of frost.

As for the blueberry it is a good idea to have at least 2 plants and each being a different variety that blooms about the same time. The cross pollination has been found to increase production. I am not sure if they are self pollinating or not.

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 1:16AM
ericwi

The blueberry will be happiest if it goes into the ground sooner, rather than later. Is it still dormant, or has it sprouted green leaves and started to flower? It's best if the blueberry shrub is dormant when planted. Blueberry shrubs are native plants, and they have natural resistance to frost. There are some varieties sold for planting in the south, that are less tolerant of frost, so you have to specify the variety.

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 11:25AM
mzcountrychic

I just picked up another blueberry plant. The package just said to mulch to protect it from frost. Went out and bought some mulch. How far apart should I plant them? They are both Blue Ray. They are both dormant, one has a tiny leaf.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 7:13AM
Edymnion(7a)

It depends on how big you intend to let them get. Blueberries can turn into small trees if you let them.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 9:26AM
ericwi

Commercial blueberry growers typically space the shrubs at 8 feet. Our blueberry shrubs do fine 4 feet apart, and 3 feet is OK. What happens when they are closer together is that they get maybe 4 or 5 feet tall, and no higher. But they are still green and healthy, and they still make flowers and fruit. For maximum fruit per shrub, 8 foot spacing is best.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 10:36AM
More Discussions
Restoring old and neglected apricot trees. Help!
We moved into a new home in the middle of last summer...
monibucky
Urgent grafting advice: Experiment Antonovka +/- B9 interstem
You can read my previous posts to see photos of my...
hungryfrozencanuck
November Vole Damage
Voles have attacked my apple trees. A few of them are...
tedgrowsit
Lime Sulphur spray--I feel like I was just robbed by Hi-yield
I have no idea why Hi-yield (or maybe it's the sellers)...
dave_7b
Hazelnuts
Do you need more than 1 hazelnut to produce fruit/nuts?...
redspruce
Sponsored Products
Lakeland Mills Country Porch Swing - 5 ft. - CF75
$209.53 | Hayneedle
Finding Spring Arrangement
$549.00 | FRONTGATE
Grape Harvest Narrow Zig Zag Plug-In Swag Pendant
Lamps Plus
Dark Taupe 32-inch Plant Stand
Overstock.com
58.5-inch Triple Stalk Yucca Silk Tree
Overstock.com